SaabCentral Forums banner

Black liquid?

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Presto 
#1 ·
There is black liquid that comes out of my exhaust when I start my car and rev it. I first noticed it after I got my MBC+A installed, but it could have been doing it before. It also seems to happen when it really cold(atlanta cold) could it be ice forming and melting in the pipes?

#6 ·
As ever, monitor your fluid levels , on a strict regimen. This may help isolate and expose the problem, if any.

Theoretically it could be espresso, I do not know of every 9-3 improvement..I do know that, 1,000 or 10,000, some or many improvements were NOT made ....being half serious..:cheesy:

We must see the emitted smoke, both cold and hot...This too will help isolate and determine the condition.

Our espresso man, PMI, may have nailed it - running a tad too rich..
MPG ??

#8 ·
Warumono said:
about 16.7.
This redefines "a tad rich"....:cheesy:

Do a test on the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) and all of the vacuum hoses.
Check the oxygen sensor(imagine what it looks like !!)
Check the engine temperature sensor
Check the MAF
Running this rich, I think would cause a CEL....but this system is emissions based, NOT quality of running..

#13 ·
Warumono said:
how do i do a test on the FPR
At the fuel pressure regulator we have a vacuum hose nipple, a chamber and a diaphragm.
If the diaphragm is cracked or leaks, fuel will be sucked directly into the throttle body.
Test using a vacuum pump with a gauge - this should hold for a time...Also test the hoses as well..

#14 ·
Aside from the O2 sensor and other things also mentioned, if the engine thermostat is not working, and the engine is running too cold on the hwy, it will also run very rich.

The engine temperature has to get to a normal operating level before the ECU starts to regulate the fuel. Until then, the engine will run on a default air/fuel mix, same as the first few minutes after start.

Running rich over a long period of time will also foul the front O2 sensor, so it is possible to end up with an O2 sensor fault even if the cause is elsewhere.

#19 ·
Are u using your SID to tell you the MPG? Its a good indicator of what your getting, but not perfect. Fill your tank and do the calculations to see what you're getting.

I avg in the summer 6.6-7.5 L/100km (30-35ish MPG) and 8.2L/100km in the winter (28ish MPG).

This is with GS 3" DP v2 with Saab sport exhaust.

#20 ·
I have been getting about 17 MPG now. but the liquid is still there. Is there anything else it could be? how do i Check the engine temperature sensor and MAF?

Im also removing my open air intake because of the bad things I hear about the K&N filter. Will this change anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.