SaabCentral Forums banner

Newbie questions

694 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hkayssi 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am newbie to the world of Saab. I just pruchased a 1999 Saab 93se. Its has about 119,000 miles on it. And I realise that I am clueless. I have been reading the forum for about a week now but only registered a day ago. My apologises for being a lurker there for a while.;oops:

I have some question,...now that days after purchasing the car things are acting up. Initially when I test drove the car everthing worked.

The blinkers were the first. Wake up, and they don't work. I mean nothing, outside or on the dash, no noise either. The hazards are fine. Read the forums and checked all the fuses.
I still can't find the relays location though. I wiggled all the relays in the engine compartment, especially the orange unit.

Second, "check brake light", and I did, nothing wrong but message still there.

I read a post where someone mentioned that after 100,000 you need to replace "DIC", "FP" and another item, could someone please tell me what these are and where ? I have yet to purchase a manual.

Finally, at least for now the batt has died enough that it will not start the car but all the other stuff works. What is happening ? Yes, the car has sat for the duration of a week now.

Thanks, sorry if its all so long winded.

See less See more
#2 ·
arky9993 said:
Hello all,
I am newbie to the world of Saab. I just pruchased a 1999 Saab 93se. Its has about 119,000 miles on it. And I realise that I am clueless. I have been reading the forum for about a week now but only registered a day ago. My apologises for being a lurker there for a while.;oops:

I have some question,...now that days after purchasing the car things are acting up. Initially when I test drove the car everthing worked.

The blinkers were the first. Wake up, and they don't work. I mean nothing, outside or on the dash, no noise either. The hazards are fine. Read the forums and checked all the fuses.
I still can't find the relays location though. I wiggled all the relays in the engine compartment, especially the orange unit.

Second, "check brake light", and I did, nothing wrong but message still there.

I read a post where someone mentioned that after 100,000 you need to replace "DIC", "FP" and another item, could someone please tell me what these are and where ? I have yet to purchase a manual.

Finally, at least for now the batt has died enough that it will not start the car but all the other stuff works. What is happening ? Yes, the car has sat for the duration of a week now.

Thanks, sorry if its all so long winded.
The flasher relay unit maybe faulty simple to replace :cheesy:. If not, it's the ICE unit acting up and those are expensive to fix :nono;

The check brake light is normal. The SID asks you to push the brakes to check if any bulbs are faulty. Pretty stupid and useless feature if you ask me :cheesy:

The DIC is the Direct Ignition Cassette. It's the red part on top of your valve cover held by screws. It basically replaces the coil and wires in 1 unit.

The FP is fuel pump or fuel pressure depending on how it's used :cheesy:

Well for the battery, it's probably the original one and is probably over due by now :cheesy:

Welcome to the board. You have a trivial problem (bad relay and iffy battery)don't worry. It seems like you got a great car. Post some pics soon.

#4 ·
I would just add, there are separate fuses for the emergency flashers and the direction indicators (#2 and #22 on the NG900), so I would start with the simple stuff.

I don't think there is a relay for either circuit on the NG900. The pulses to flash the bulbs are generated in the ICE, and for the direction indicators, the circuit passes through switches on the stalk. (hk - if I am wrong about the 9-3 pls correct me, :) )

The circuits are separate almost all the way. For the direction indicators, from the battery, through the ignition switch, fuse 22, then teh switches for right and left on the stalk, then the ICE, and then a wire to connecting points for the direction indicators.

(the Haynes manual actually has a good diagram for this one, :roll: )

Btw, the Haynes manual is cheap and worth having, it just does not cover everything.

#5 ·
Copied :: Second, "check brake light", and I did, nothing wrong but message still there.

A very sensitive sensor be this. All must be perfect, the bulbs, wires, grounds.
Use 7528 for the two side brake lites; the center takes W 5W (newer, baseless - just two wires for the contacts).
p120, Owners manual.
None of my center ones(high level stop light) function...I think the bulbs are OK, the ground ???, I do not know..
And I agree with Hkayssi, to a limit; The value or necessity of the center brake light is most debatable..

#6 ·
Hi guys, first and foremost, thank you to all.

I will replace the batt this weekend. I was wondering if there is a particular batt that works better with the Saabs.

I will also purchase the Haynes manual at Amazon. Am I correct in assuming that it is the black covered manual ?

hk, I will post some pics as soon as I can get my hands a proper digital camera. I am guessing that the relay is something that I can pick up at parts store ? Just how expensive do the ICE get ? What does ICE stand for ?

Drew, when you say flasher unit, you mean the relay? If so/not where/what am I looking for ?

PMI, you are right, I am basic beginner to the world of saab and really do need the manual. I can't even figure out what the "ICE " is.;oops:

earthworm, yes, the more I read the more it seems I have a very sensitive being on my hands,...:)

But as a newbie, and with you all on my side I shall begin my Saab adventure ,....

#7 ·
ICE = Integrated Central Electronics module

A lot of the instrument panel switches are connected to the ICE, and the ICE controls the light, motor, relay, and so on. Among other things,

Some headlight functions
Direction indicators (blinkers)
Fog lights
Washer pump
Rear window heater
Some interior light functions
Electric radiator fan
etc...

Some of the functions are programmable, like what each of the headlight switch posistions does. It also controls the instrument panel temp gauge, which is NOT connected directly to the coolant temp "sender" on the side of the engine (another long story in itself).

#8 ·
On the battery selection , the Europeans have switched the terminal locations as compared to American batteries, this may limit the battery selection for some..

I use a type 75 in the '97 and the less powerful type 42 in the '96... Both from Walmart...
Never go to a dealer for this.
Never ask for the "correct" battery for your car - I just install whatever fits and fits well..
Buy and install the battery with the most cranking reserve and will fit, or can be made to fit and fit properly....
DIY - forever

#9 ·
earthworm said:
Copied :: Second, "check brake light", and I did, nothing wrong but message still there.

A very sensitive sensor be this. All must be perfect, the bulbs, wires, grounds.
Use 7528 for the two side brake lites; the center takes W 5W (newer, baseless - just two wires for the contacts).
p120, Owners manual.
None of my center ones(high level stop light) function...I think the bulbs are OK, the ground ???, I do not know..
And I agree with Hkayssi, to a limit; The value or necessity of the center brake light is most debatable..
EW, The check brake light is a meassage from the SID asking you to press the brake pedal to check if there are defective bulbs; It shouldn't be there after you push the brake pedal. Either it goes away or you would see "Brake Light Failure" displayed on the SID. If you see the latter you may and may not have a burnt bulb. The sensor is way too sensitive and if there's any variation in the resistance, the brake failure message will display.

It's a useless and aggravating feature in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.