SaabCentral Forums banner

"Rear Light Failure" Question

549 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lxk199 
#1 ·
Car is a 2000 9 3, non-SE.

Tonight when I was coming home from work, I decided to give the car a little workout, so I hit 2nd gear and pinned the throttle. When I hit full boost, the gauge cluster flickered, I heard a light "tick" and the SID read "rear light failure". I pulled over and all the lights were A-OK, so I continued driving. When I got to another piece of road where I could duplicate the conditions, I did, and the same thing happened. I imagine the rear lights are just flickering at the same time as the cluster, but why?

#2 ·
lxk199 said:
Car is a 2000 9 3, non-SE.

Tonight when I was coming home from work, I decided to give the car a little workout, so I hit 2nd gear and pinned the throttle. When I hit full boost, the gauge cluster flickered, I heard a light "tick" and the SID read "rear light failure". I pulled over and all the lights were A-OK, so I continued driving. When I got to another piece of road where I could duplicate the conditions, I did, and the same thing happened. I imagine the rear lights are just flickering at the same time as the cluster, but why?
Checked the ground cables? The two ground cables underneith the fuse box can come loose after a couple of years..

Sorry for the blurry image, i only had my cellphone avalible.

The rear lights got a rubber seal all the way around the glass. This might be leaking. It's not a question if, but when this starts to leak..
May cause very odd symptoms. Electricity isn't very fun to trouble shoot, but give it a try. Good luck!

#3 ·
nine said:
Checked the ground cables? The two ground cables underneith the fuse box can come loose after a couple of years..

Sorry for the blurry image, i only had my cellphone avalible.

The rear lights got a rubber seal all the way around the glass. This might be leaking. It's not a question if, but when this starts to leak..
May cause very odd symptoms. Electricity isn't very fun to trouble shoot, but give it a try. Good luck!
The fuse box issue sounds more likely, as it happened during HARD acceleration, and the tick came from unde the dash. When it stops snowing outside I will definitely check it. Thanks for the insight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.