Rear light failure message: what bulb? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Rear light failure message: what bulb?

fusionrx
28th November 2007, 10:08 AM
This should be an easy one.

Got a 01 9-5 Wagon (SE), and I recieved a "rear light failure" message.
The drivers side rear light (the Horizontal red part) is not illuminated and I am assuming its a bad bulb.

What bulb (part or model number) is required and how do you get access to that area? Can the bulbs be bought at a local PepBoys/Orielly/"choose you own name" auto parts store?

Thanks!

jlthunder
28th November 2007, 10:17 AM
The wagon uses an L.E.D. strip. This is a dealer item. Before buying a new unit, check to see if there is voltage at the connector to the light. Have a friend press on the brake pedal while you check the voltage. If you have voltage, then your L.E.D. unit needs to be repalced. If you don't have voltage, then your problem is elsewhere. HTH

fusionrx
28th November 2007, 01:03 PM
Its the Drivers side light on the bottom 1/2 .

If the Light looks like this (this is a poor representation):

|= (with each line representing a portion of the light),

then its the _ part.

I'll see if I can find a picture...

gghh
28th November 2007, 01:06 PM
Bulbs are listed in the owners manual at page 191

manual https://owners.saabusa.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/saab/9-5M2000.pdf

Stop Taillight is a BAY15d Socket 21/5W Bulb

jlthunder
28th November 2007, 01:12 PM
Sorry for the error. I've been doing this a lot recently.

If I recall right, it is a standard 1157 bulb. These can be purchased at Wal*Mart or any other store with a automotive section.

I'd replace both sides. The bulbs come in twin packs anyway. This way the right hand side one won't go out on you next week.

Pay attention to the little nubs on the side of the bulb. They are offset so they are inserted correctly. If you jam it in backwards, your parking light will light up as a brake light and visa versa. Your manual should tell you how to access the bulbs. Page 187 according to the above link.

An easy test after you install the bulb is to put your parking lights on, look at the lights. It should be the same brightness as the other side. Then have someone step on the brake while you look at the lights. Both sides should get brighter.

Have fun!

fusionrx
28th November 2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.. Its either the Stop taillight or the rear fog. I will double check when I get home tonite...

jlthunder
28th November 2007, 01:20 PM
If it is a rear fog, it is a standard 1156 bulb. Single filiment and no offset. Easy to install.

pbrown
28th November 2007, 11:14 PM
Is it in the tailgate / door? There is a square access panel on the inside. Turn the latch 90 degrees and the door will come out.