Rear defrost...off all things... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Rear defrost...off all things...

RHORNUMD17
21st November 2007, 12:37 PM
So I recently purchased my first Saab...a 9-5 Aero Sedan, and its great.....

However, until recently, I havent had to use the rear defrost. Now when I go to use it, and the light on the climate control consule says its on, but unfortunately... I have yet to see it actually work. I checked the fuses on the fuse panel, and its fine, so Im not to sure if there is a loose connection, or Im not just doing something right?

Also, my headlights appear to be flickering occasionally - and again, not sure about this one either, they dont go out....but the go from steady to flickering shortly, back to steady - should I just get new bulbs???

Any suggestions??

fusionrx
21st November 2007, 01:23 PM
You don't mention if you have a sedan or wagon.

I have seen the following occur:
1. Line breaking, no power getting to part of the grid.
2. Copper T-part coming off the conductor pads and no power gets to grid.

Saab Solution: (proposed by Saab dealer for my wagon to which #2 happened). Get a new rear hatch (everything) for about $600.

My solution: Use some electrically conductive adhesive (I work at 3M so I know people :cheesy: ) buy the part from Saab International (sent from Sweden for $7). Glue it, let sit for 24-48 hrs. Good to go. (NOTE: I had to buy the copper T because I dropped the original into the window frame area... Never to be found again).

There are commercial products for fixing the line, if you have a break in the line. Don't remember what they are called...

RHORNUMD17
4th December 2007, 12:01 PM
bump....

anyone else care to assist again here...just had it taken a look at, and it appears the connect has come loose, but where I have it, they dont do any glass....

What is the stuff called for the line breaking...

Also, where can I get this magic adhesive....

fusionrx
4th December 2007, 12:07 PM
Check out: http://www.frostfighter.com/ or Here : http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2000.htm

RHORNUMD17
4th December 2007, 03:45 PM
fusion-

Thanks for all the help....I was able to find out that it was the rear connector...going to get one of the kits you used to fix yours...

Now just to wait until 65 degrees in MN....yea right...where's my girlfriends hair dryer!!!!!

RHORNUMD17
4th December 2007, 05:05 PM
fusion...one more thing...

In looking at the connector...when you reattached yours there is a U shape - basically to prongs running and then the bottom...

does the rounded area go to the inside or out of the window - so basically do the tips of the connector point to the side of the window or out to the window themselves...ive tried looking at the others...but there are plastic caps that I just dont want too "rip off to double check"....