Hardwire Phone Charger [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Hardwire Phone Charger

KjT817
20th November 2007, 10:08 PM
Wondering what the easiest way would be to hardwire a Phone Charger in a similar setup to this:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/chrselmore/My%20Saab/Feb14074.jpg

I'm sure that there's a way to splice it into the cigarette plug in the dash, but I can't find a writeup... please help for a Holiday Weekend Project!

TIA

KjT817
23rd November 2007, 12:54 AM
Bump, thoughts?

chris2004
23rd November 2007, 07:18 AM
I would hide the charger wire inside the passengers side panel and direct it inside the armrest box where there is a lighter plug.

Very interesting how the atray was modified. What is that device on astray and how did u modified/replaced it?

robhurlburt
24th November 2007, 03:11 PM
that thing in the ashtry position is a satelite radio. I forgot where they got the factory looking pieces though

KjT817
25th November 2007, 02:17 PM
I would hide the charger wire inside the passengers side panel and direct it inside the armrest box where there is a lighter plug.

not interested in using the larmrest socket - looking for advice on hardwiring it to something on the dash - possbily the cigarette lighter?

brianl703
25th November 2007, 03:19 PM
Easiest way to do it would be to use an ATC add-a-circuit fuseholder, and a cigarette lighter socket. Install the ATC add-a-circuit into a fuse that is only live when the ignition is on and connect it's red wire to a cigarette lighter socket, ground the other wire from the lighter socket to a bolt under the dash, then plug your cellphone charger into that and hide it all under the dash.

KjT817
26th November 2007, 11:29 AM
with that said, wouldn't it be easier to tap into the wiring for the cigarette lighter already in the dash? I'm assuming that the power source could handle the draw from the cell phone charger, but am unsure about utelizing the fuse in the charger's plug.

would the fuse for the car's cig lighter circuit be adequate or would I have to wire another in-line with the charger plug?

jpk
26th November 2007, 12:04 PM
There's huge amounts of room inside console and armrest area. It would be a piece of cake to tap the armrest power circuit stash whatever adapters you need inside for a clean look. Just pay attention to the clearence needed for the parking brake mechanism which is just in front of the storage bin.

Go to the the genuinesaab.com site and download the instructions for installing the aux-in cable kit - it has detailed staeps on how to open up the armrest and console.

KjT817
26th November 2007, 12:08 PM
good to know, thanks!

I'm fine with pulling the console apart, but just a little *squeamish* about tapping into the wires.... I'm not sure if I need another inline fuse between the splice and the cell phone/mp3 player/etc? or will the car's fuse pannel be enough?

brianl703
26th November 2007, 01:13 PM
with that said, wouldn't it be easier to tap into the wiring for the cigarette lighter already in the dash?

I wouldn't think so. The ATC add-a-circuit is basically "plug and play" and requires no modification of factory wiring. You install it in the fusepanel at the end of the dash and run the wire under the dash to whever you want to connect your phone charger.

Tapping into the wiring for the cigarette lighter already in the dash is possible but it needs to be done correctly and safely. I don't like modifying factory wiring unless I have no other choice, so I wouldn't do it this way.

I'm assuming that the power source could handle the draw from the cell phone charger, but am unsure about utelizing the fuse in the charger's plug.

would the fuse for the car's cig lighter circuit be adequate or would I have to wire another in-line with the charger plug?

The easiest thing to do is as I said..buy a 12V power outlet socket, wire your 12V to that, and then plug your cell phone charger into it. You can then hide it all under the dash.

You don't need any additional fuses if you do it that way. I don't know if you were thinking about it but if you were, you cannot simply cut off the charger plug and wire directly to the car (unless you'd like to destroy your phone) The charger plug contains voltage regulation circuitry.

KjT817
26th November 2007, 01:19 PM
you cannot simply cut off the charger plug and wire directly to the car (unless you'd like to destroy your phone) The charger plug contains voltage regulation circuitry.

Exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks!

seiplax
27th November 2007, 11:10 PM
Its how I currently have my phone charger wired. I am taking the power from behing the power outlet.

I wired an extra plug when I was installing my bluetooth unit.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9/seiplax/CIMG1511.jpg