Fuel System Cleaning [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Fuel System Cleaning

XAAMOTTOMAAX
10th June 2003, 06:35 PM
Ive been experiencing a bit of rough idling and pinging lately. I have a brand new set of plugs with the 30k mile service. I suspect the gas station I went to was watering down the gas. Unfortunately, the top octane I can get is 91. Anyway, my question is, are the octane boosters you see at local auto parts stores safe and effective to use? Also, there is a fuel system cleaner made by a company called JB that my service advisor here where I work is suggesting I use. Its a 3 part system with 1 part being added to the gas tank, 1 part being added to the oil, and 1 part being put into the injectors. Are these "non-Saab" products safe and/or effective to use? If not, whats the best way to clean the fuel/emissions system?
Thanks for the input!

mr saabman
11th June 2003, 01:53 PM
Ive been experiencing a bit of rough idling and pinging lately
Oh Dear :( If you are experiencing pinging (Pinking?) then you are in danger of ruining your engine as either it's running very lean or the timing is wrong,Now as Trionic 7 is very clever it should adjust the mixture/timing automatically!
Are you sure the plugs are the correct NGK resistor plugs? if so it could be a DI problem? Either way get it checked out!
As for Injector cleaner only use a fuel adative type of cleaner,you can clean the throttle body by removing the intake hose and spraying carb cleaner around the housing whilst holding the revs at around 3000rpm.
The pinking problem is something you need to sort out soon though!

XAAMOTTOMAAX
11th June 2003, 11:01 PM
The same thing happened when I first bought the car and the porter at the infiniti dealer I bought it from filled it with 87 octane. I refilled with 91 octane and added an off the shelf octane booster which ended the pinging. For some reason, this last fill up it started again, so I filled up at a different gas station and added the same additive and its running smooth as butter again. I live in a fairly urban area and water in gas isnt completely uncommon. I dont know...On a side note, have you ever heard of chip center in Sweden? http://www.chipcenter.cc/english/index.htm
They have a very low price on the ECM. Any experience? I couldnt find anything in the forum search.

murphwiz
12th June 2003, 03:05 PM
Chipcenter..

Heard of a few people using them, though not for ecu's, but not heard anything bad about them!
I know of someone who has left thier viggen with them, to upgrade its output to around 450bhp... so they must be pretty good!

5XSaabOwner
7th October 2010, 01:00 PM
Clean your throttle body. Takes 10 minutes. Best when engine is cold

Tools: brass wire brush, spray cleaner, long screw driver to hold valve open

Make sure to clean under the butterfly

Should also improve mileage

Chris 9-5
7th October 2010, 01:10 PM
Clean your throttle body. Takes 10 minutes. Best when engine is cold

Tools: brass wire brush, spray cleaner, long screw driver to hold valve open

Make sure to clean under the butterfly

Should also improve mileage

I think the OP has this sorted as he posted the thread seven years ago!

5XSaabOwner
7th October 2010, 01:13 PM
But what about others who see this query?