might have a clutch problem... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: might have a clutch problem...

guitarguydudeperson34
06-11-07, 10:34 PM
so i recently upgraded my ECU, not much just the factory "performance" tune that added 35 hp. so anyways after i installed it i started driving, well, more colorfully and noticed a crap load more wheel spin. but recently when i launch my car hard, i notice that the car revvs as if my tires are spinning as im moving but i can feel that the tires arent spinning. the engine doesn't rev to redline, but rather around 5000 rpms and holds and while its doing this i feel im getting no power. could this be my clutch starting to slip? does anyone know what the lpt clutch is capable of withstanding given aggressive driving styles?;oops: thanks...

also i've been getting boost spikes... like up to 16-17 psi real quick and then back to normal levels. could this be my wastegate actuator sticking?

oh and for all those who have a lot of power... chris im looking in your direction, can you recommend a good sticky tire? im running bfg g-force sports right now and they were said to be very good street tires for grip but throwing them on a 9-5 and they spin like they have lube on them or something.

SectorNine50
07-11-07, 02:10 AM
How many miles ya got?

My 2000 Aero has about 99k on it and when I went to get my slave cylinder fixed, they told me my clutch was worn down to the rivets.

guitarguydudeperson34
07-11-07, 09:17 AM
around 72k could the clutch be shot around that?

paolo
07-11-07, 02:43 PM
My LPT clutch went at 64k when i put in a 280bhp tune on my 2.0. I put an Aero clutch in as a replacement.

p

Chris 9-5
07-11-07, 02:51 PM
My LPT clutch went at 64k when i put in a 280bhp tune on my 2.0. I put an Aero clutch in as a replacement.

p

Mine has just gone too at 70k :roll:

I find it shocking that the standard and original LPT clutch only lasted for 18 months with 350+bhp upgrades........I'm gonna complain :evil:

As for grippy tyres - the best improvement I got in grip was from uprating the suspension ;)

cse_20
07-11-07, 10:22 PM
Does not sound like your clutch is slipping, most probably the TCS is kicking in.
To check your clutch try the following;
Should be very noticable if your clutch is slipping.
G0 on a long stretch, bring it up to 5th gear, ease off the gas pedal, let your speed come down and then floor it.
If your rpm shoots to the redline and no increase in speed, your clutch is slipping.
If it slowly starts to increase speed as your rpm climbs then your clutch is okay, so shift down a couple of gears.
Regards,
cse_20

SectorNine50
07-11-07, 10:30 PM
Does not sound like your clutch is slipping, most probably the TCS is kicking in.
To check your clutch try the following;
Should be very noticable if your clutch is slipping.
G0 on a long stretch, bring it up to 5th gear, ease off the gas pedal, let your speed come down and then floor it.
If your rpm shoots to the redline and no increase in speed, your clutch is slipping.
If it slowly starts to increase speed as your rpm climbs then your clutch is okay, so shift down a couple of gears.
Regards,
cse_20
No, it's definately his clutch, TCS doesn't hold the RPM's at 5k, it kills the RPMs all together.

A clutch job for me just costed me $2001.12, so brace yourself... :o

cse_20
07-11-07, 10:43 PM
Maybe, but typically a slipping clutch won't hold the rpm at 5k either, it will redline all the way, unless he's carefully applying gas.
TCS on the other hand, will throttle back if he has lost traction.
I remember flooring my other saab with finished winter tires in winter and easily kicking in the TCS and rpm would not redline, but would always try to auto throttle back around 4-5K rpm range.

What condition are the tires in?

SectorNine50
07-11-07, 11:03 PM
Maybe, but typically a slipping clutch won't hold the rpm at 5k either, it will redline all the way, unless he's carefully applying gas.
TCS on the other hand, will throttle back if he has lost traction.
I remember flooring my other saab with finished winter tires in winter and easily kicking in the TCS and rpm would not redline, but would always try to auto throttle back around 4-5K rpm range.

What condition are the tires in?
Right, but his tires aren't spinning, and I'd be willing to bet that if the clutch is closed, and the RPMs are much higher than how fast the tires are spinning, that T7 would keep the RPMs from going too high.

That is the only spot that could spin from engine to transmission to wheels if the wheels are not spinning.

cse_20
08-11-07, 11:13 AM
Good point.
I guess he'll report back either way.
Regards,
cse_20

guitarguydudeperson34
08-11-07, 02:18 PM
i didnt have tcs on when i felt this so that was definatly not it especially since when tcs kicks in you basically just loose all power and rpms. my tires were band new at the start of the summer, and today i had my friend stand outside and see if the tires were spinning when this happend and he said they werent... so yay it must be my clutch... think ima shoot for a spec stage 2 or maybe a 3. whats the torque rating on the aero clutch?

paolo
08-11-07, 03:24 PM
450 Nm - more than enough for your car, I'd reckon

P

Chris 9-5
08-11-07, 04:38 PM
Sadly the clutch is a big job with the gearbox having to come out, its gonna cost :confused:

guitarguydudeperson34
09-11-07, 08:50 AM
yea i thought it might... i mean the car runs, so maybe i should get an lsd to throw in there while its open so i dont have to open it up again.

SectorNine50
09-11-07, 03:32 PM
yea i thought it might... i mean the car runs, so maybe i should get an lsd to throw in there while its open so i dont have to open it up again.
That's what I thought too, but then that $2,001.22 clutch, slave, and master cylinders replacement would have gone up to somewhere near $3,500.

I didn't even think about the fact that the clutch is in a different chamber in the transmission, and that they have to open that up, and then replace anything that is overly worn, and any bearings that they touch. (those bearings run for $30 a pop.)

Be prepared for an expensive endeavor! :cool:

Should be well worth it though.