High Beams [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: High Beams

Saab 1
2nd November 2007, 08:28 PM
Just looking for ideas, I have no High Beams, Bulbs ok but pull on leaver and nothing?

Help

Rgds: Saab 1

Thirsty9000
2nd November 2007, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the club! First thing to do is obviously, check all fuses. Secondly substitute test the headlight relays for known working ones. Then after that doesn't work, (this is where i consigned myself to a life of low-beams) you can try electrical troubleshooting to see where you're not getting any voltage from. Or you can try replacing the high/low beam change stalk.

grade8graydad
3rd November 2007, 04:45 PM
When is it that you have no high beams? I recently changed my headlight relay to fix intermittent high beams. That is, sometimes when I moved the stalk to activate them, they would, sometimes they wouldn't. I also noticed that I never got them to stay on when the headlight switch was in the off (daylight running) position. ;oops: I thought it was the stalk switch until I read a post and looked into the relay. All is well now, except the smashed front corner from the deer I hit Friday....

Stefano
3rd November 2007, 04:58 PM
The high beams relays are known to fail. It's the big red one in the relay box under the hood.
It can be repaired, I had a collegue of mine take it apart and redoing the welds that didn't look ok. It's been working perfectly for the last 18 months :cheesy:

I don't think it's very effective to replace a failure prone item with a used one, but, if you want to go that way, it can be helpful to know that the same relay was fitted in later 900s (they could be easier to find in junkyards than 9000s).

Thirsty9000
3rd November 2007, 11:34 PM
I have tried 3 different headlight relays in 2 different cars. My car seems to think it only has low beams and lower beams. no blue high beam indicator light or pictogram showing bulbs out. My friends has only 1 high beam. we swapped relays, nothing changed. We tried a brand new relay in both cars. nothing changed. I figured I must have burnt something by running higher wattage bulbs (thus the blue hue to the high beam in my avatar) and yes I've checked the fuses.