rally 900 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: rally 900

GearHead
29th October 2007, 12:51 AM
Ive begun the project of turning my 1990 NA 900 into a rally/rallyX car.I always thought it was best to start with something slow to learn car control with.Today was its first day as a dedicated rally car.So I rally some roads just to get a better feel for the car and to start practising trail braking.10 minutes in,I accidentally hit a large rock,it just put a slight dent in the rim(was still holding air) so I went back to the shop to fix it(arn't steel wheels great!)I pulled into the shop only to find that the rock had bounced up and nicked the exposed drain plug.When it did that it also cracked the threads.No wonder it was leaking on the shop floor.Now I have to bring the car back into lewiston(an hour both ways) and have someone TIG the plug hole up so I can drill/tap the hole for the plug.Now I know what it needs to begin with-a 1" steel box frame for a 1/4" plate of aluminum to mount to.from the bumper all the way to the end of of the diff.Then a 1/4" aluminum skidplate for the gas tank then I should be golden,then box the A arms...I will try to get at least some pics of it next time I am up there.

I think this car will just be a training car so I will probally weld the diff rather than get a LSD..its rollcage wont be pretty but it will work

then a fast rally c900 or 99 with turbo and limited slip diff,with a DOM roll cage.

nnamssorxela
29th October 2007, 04:36 PM
I really want to see this!!! I have always had the dream of a rally saab, and I was on my way, then I found the airflow stuff,...and rally and air flow don't go good together. I might be getting a small subaru to throw around though.
The whole awd off-road proves to be a very enjoyable experience. :cheesy:

Of course I havent really pushed the good old saab too hard, just practicing a few corners (too fast mind you). Any advantages of fwd over awd? supposedly you can "claw" your way around the turn with fwd, but depending on the awd system isnt it the same plus the rwd "push"?

Cliche`
29th October 2007, 05:36 PM
FWD is crazy fun to rally, mostly because it's so hard to get into trouble unless you really want to. Saabs are really good at oversteering if you lift off at the right time, but they hang on tight if you stay on it.

Go for it, you'll love every minute of it.:cheesy:

yfs87
29th October 2007, 05:43 PM
yep brake, then let off the brake for a second or two, then gas, handbrake, turn, counter steer a slight slight amount...let the sliding goodness begin.

nnamssorxela
29th October 2007, 09:19 PM
i found hand brake was a major no-no, of course I approached 90 degree turns on gravel doing 30+ :o . I have a video that my friend made on youtube with some subies, and my saab, but I am faaaarrrr too embarassed to give you the link. I over corrected like a mother and nearly lost it one, and the second time...there was no "nearly" involved. It was very fun though. I strongly recommend not using bald street tires.:nono;

93SAABJADE
30th October 2007, 05:01 PM
Post some pics soon, I have wanted to rally in a Saab too. Something about Saabs and rally racing just fit. Are you doing any performance stuff or just skid plate and reinforcing?

GearHead
30th October 2007, 05:19 PM
mostly just skidplate and reenforcing stuff.Its not like I can easily get much power out of it without spending a ton.Money better spent on beeftastic skidplates and roll cages and such...I might change its exhaust slightly and figure out a custom air intake.thinking a 2.5" straightpipe, then a CAI with a splash gaurd.

K-900
31st October 2007, 04:17 AM
for front wheel drive cars in rally, or wet road, use the good old "scandinavian flick".

I haven't quite mastered it, but I've got it spot on a few times, great fun going sideways round a tight corner in a fwd car :D

Kenny.

GearHead
1st November 2007, 10:59 PM
pics should be saterday.Unfortunatly they will be mostly just stock photos because thats how the car is right now.soon we will be stripping the car and building a new skidplate.after I fix the drain plug : DEAD

nnamssorxela
2nd November 2007, 05:42 AM
make the exhaust exit right after the front wheel (side exit kind of) heck you would only need about 3 feet of slightly bent tubing. and make a vent or scoop for the cai. I always thought the car looked pretty cool with no back bumper, and it you took off the side moldings, filled in any holes, and maybe bolted up a metal plate or too as the back and front bumpers, it would look slick. Or use a piece of really thick rubber tube.

93SAABJADE
18th November 2007, 10:59 AM
any pics yet? have you started building?

CentralMaineSaab
4th December 2007, 10:18 AM
Have you taken a look at saabrally.com? The guys over there really know their stuff and currently run a 99 turbo in Rally America, and SCCA club rally. I'm sure if you have any questions they'd be more than happy to answer specific questions. Also, get some pics up please!