"Run-Flat" Tire (No, not that kind) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: "Run-Flat" Tire (No, not that kind)

ivoneh
24th October 2007, 01:16 AM
Hey everyone,

Got an'04 CPO 9-5 Aero a month ago and just got a flat tire. Brought it in to Discount Tire locally and need to replace it.

I saw the sidewall that was on the inside of the well and it had a thin bead/ line of rubber and the tech reffered to it as a run-flat condition. Basically, the tire rotated as normal, but without proper inflation. This caused the sidewall to compress on itself under load and heat up and almost melt a bead into the tire. I don't think it was me, but the previous owner. Either way, it sux to have to buy tires for a new-to-me car. ;oops:

I know I can buy just one tire to replace it, but I really think I should get 4, but I am going to purchase 2 as the others are ok and I think it would be a waste to not use them. They will give me a $20 credit for the other tire I am replacing.

I currently have the Conti Extrmeme Contact Tires 225/45 ZR17

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=ILCINT&yr=2004&cf=false&c=1&sw=false&pc=26459&tc=CONHZ3&rf=true&rcz=60504&cs=225&dVeh=dVeh&rd=17&vid=008387&ar=45

and want to replace with the same thing, but they are on backorder for a week. They suggested that I replace them with a Yokahoma:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=ILCINT&yr=2004&cf=false&c=1&sw=false&pc=43098&tc=YOKHHM&rf=true&rcz=60504&cs=225&dVeh=dVeh&rd=17&vid=008387&ar=45

The issue is that the Conti's are on backorder, but I can wait a week or so for them.

So, fellow Saabers, what are your suggestions? Replace the 2 with something else or go with the Conti? :confused:

Also, I asked the tech about inflation and his computer told him that they should be 32psi front 31 rear. What is actually appropriate for the car and those tires?

I need to get a good air guage too, becuase I am now worried about this happening again.

Thanks.

Ian

Kermit
24th October 2007, 04:19 AM
Biggest crititicism i have of Yokohama tyres is wear rate. Had them on a Peugeot 205Gti and they gripped like crap on a blanket, but wore out very rapidly. :x

Wulf
24th October 2007, 09:47 AM
The Yokohama YK520 are exclusively sold through Discount Tire in the USA and I haven't been able to find any reviews on them. They have a 60K mile warranty so they should last longer than the ExtremeContact which are rated to 40K miles. The tread pattern looks very similar to the Avid TRZ and it seems like a less aggressive tire than the Continentals.

I placed an order with Discount Tire Direct for ExtremeContact tires last week and received this message:
We are currently out of stock on the tires that you ordered. Continental is also out of stock on these and can not give us an accurate delivery date.
So it could take a week, month or longer for them to ship. The local stores could be different though.

GeminiMoods
24th October 2007, 03:35 PM
I have Perelli PZero Rosso's and I have been very happy with them. The PZero Nero's are also quite nice.

MIKE AERO HOT
24th October 2007, 05:42 PM
Biggest crititicism i have of Yokohama tyres is wear rate. Had them on a Peugeot 205Gti and they gripped like crap on a blanket, but wore out very rapidly. :x

Strongly agree, I had Yoko A539's and they were grippy but I got through two sets in a year on a Primera!!

Im a Continental fan now:p

SectorNine50
25th October 2007, 02:00 AM
I just recently purchased the new Goodyear Response Edge tires, and I'm actually very very happy with them! They are pretty well priced, and supposed to last for 50k miles I'm told! Much better than my Pilot Sport A/S's which wore out in 25k miles.

This was discussed in another thread if you'd like to check it out:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112303