Horrible Lifter Noise [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Horrible Lifter Noise

22-10-07, 05:22 PM
Hey everybody,
A few days back I posted (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112420)about some rather odd noises i was experiencing during idle...Well now Im having a horrible lifter noise at idle coupled with that accesory side grinding/grating. I used to only get slight lifter noise while cold, but that would always go away. The lifter noise itself just seems to be getting progressively louder at idle day by day now. It always goes away at speed/load. (or maybe i just cant hear it) I'm left to assume that this is due to poor oil pressure. I havent changed my oil yet, so im still sitting on 4k miles on M1 0W-40.

I placed a call into the local saab dealership to see if I could get any friendly advice...at which point the "saab advisor" told me that at 130K miles I am probably experiencing an oil pump failure. When i asked him about changing to a heavier oil like 15w-50, he laughed and told me to use nothing but 0W-40. What do you all think? I've read snippits about lifter noise and things of the sort on this forum in the past...but everyone seems to fix the problem changing oil weights.

PS - no smoke of any kind at all yet.

Edit - This needs to be in the workshop...sorry about that.

busaboy
22-10-07, 08:19 PM
changing oil weight doesn't fix anything

Bigsky
23-10-07, 08:37 AM
You might have debris in the mechanism (check ball/valve) that holds oil pressure in the lifters while the car is off. That allows the oil to slowly drain while the car is sitting.

I have the same issue in my 2002, and plan to drop my oil pan this week to inspect the pickup screen for a clog. I'll post again later this week to let you know what I find.

23-10-07, 04:14 PM
The lifter noise is just to the point where its annoyingly loud at idle while still. I dont think i can deal with not addressing the issue soon. I think I'm going to drop my car off at the local saab dealership tonight and get a diagnostics/estimate done. I know they charge $89.99 an hour for diag., but i just dont see how im ever going to have the time to get the valve cover off, drop the pan, or change the oil pump and/or the reducing valve. I dont have a single day off between work/school and my car is far too important to me to be progressively killing my lifters on the daily.

Anyone have any advice when dealing with the Saab dealership? I just dont like the idea of a bunch of GM mechanics with saab manuals trying to get my car running right.

Bigsky
23-10-07, 05:32 PM
The dealership will take you to the cleaners, if you know of a good independent import shop you might want to start there first. I won't even talk to the dealer in my home town. They quite literally are Chevy mechanics that took over the old Saab/Import dealer in town.

23-10-07, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately the area that I live in doesnt have ANY independent european service shops. The closest reputable shop is 60 miles away and did a HORRIBLE job on my friend's clutch. (VW 337) It ended up failing on him because they didnt hook his slave cylinder up correctly and left a ground wire disconnected. I dropped my keys in the night slot tonight with the following description.

"Persistant audible lifter noise at idle/low RPM. Grumbling/Grinding coming from cabin at idle/low rpm. 4000 Miles on M1 0W-40. No Smoke Ever. Oil pressure relief valve? Pickup Screen?"

Im pretty sure they're just going to call me up and say its my oil pump...and god knows what they'll try to charge me. Im just hoping that I get careful labor. There were a number of Saabs in queue at the shop, and it seemed to be a Saab specific bay. Ill let you know how it goes...

Bigsky
24-10-07, 09:15 AM
Keep us posted on what they find.

Herb93
24-10-07, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I had a similar grinding / rattling noise from the accessories belt side of the engine on my 93. It turned out to be the bearings in an idler pulley near the top. I replaced the pulley and belt. Noise now gone. I hope your problems are as easily solved as mine where. For the belt and pulley cost 112.00 Saab parts.

The noise it made was only audible at idle and before I knew what it was, the noise it made, sounded very very expensive.

Good luck with that.

24-10-07, 05:26 PM
well... 5:22 and no call back.

I guess despite calling twice and having them tell me that they're "working on it right now", i wont be hearing anything until tomorrow.(?)

Bigsky
24-10-07, 11:54 PM
Hopefully they just had a full day and couldn't get to it.

25-10-07, 02:57 PM
Well...

Got the call back today. So the water pump and pulley is failing and thats why im getting that horrible grinding/grating heard inside the cabin. As for the lifter noise? They told me that I needed a fuel system cleaning because my injectors and throttle body were too dirty. Supposedly this "lifter noise", that im pretty sure IS indeed my lifters, is just some dirty injector solenoids.

Oh...and I need new rear rotors and pads...

And the price for all of this? $1850.

Yeah...screw that.

Bigsky
25-10-07, 06:21 PM
$1850, wow get out your wrenches.

25-10-07, 07:42 PM
yeah. pretty much.

They're charging me two hours for diagnostics. $180.00

Sweet...nothing like pissing in the wind for two days.

PS - I asked her about my oil pressure and she said that it was fine across the board. She insists that this ridiculously loud tapping at idle (that gets worse on the daily) has to do with clogged injectors.

hkayssi
25-10-07, 08:15 PM
yeah. pretty much.

They're charging me two hours for diagnostics. $180.00

Sweet...nothing like pissing in the wind for two days.

PS - I asked her about my oil pressure and she said that it was fine across the board. She insists that this ridiculously loud tapping at idle (that gets worse on the daily) has to do with clogged injectors.

Get a second opinion. That diagnosis doesn't seem right.

26-10-07, 12:30 PM
Wheres the best place to purchase a water pump.

Bigsky
26-10-07, 12:46 PM
I would try eeuroparts.com and thesaabsite.com first, they're both competitive.