Need help with windshield washer issue [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Need help with windshield washer issue

naz95
19-10-07, 08:39 PM
The headlight wipers and washers function fine, but no washer fluid sprays on the windshield. My search of the forums so far has not given me any answers.

Are the washers, headlight and window, on separate motors?

What steps can I can take to narrow down the problem?

If any one has any pictures, would be really appreciated.

pab95
19-10-07, 08:58 PM
It could be a faulty check valve or maybe the nozzles are clogged. The check valves have been known to fail on occasion. If the check valves are faulty the fluid will just flow back into the reservoir.

naz95
19-10-07, 09:10 PM
What is the check valve and where is it? Should I be hearing the pump working in this case? Thanks for the fast response!

It could be a faulty check valve or maybe the nozzles are clogged. The check valves have been known to fail on occasion. If the check valves are faulty the fluid will just flow back into the reservoir.

pab95
19-10-07, 09:33 PM
You will have to access them by removing the under hood insulation. They are black plastic valves and are connected to the washer line. Check out this link which shows the complete windshield washer system and part numbers. Good Luck! http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95wiperwashercomponents.htm

naz95
19-10-07, 09:45 PM
Thanks for link!

You will have to access them by removing the under hood insulation. They are black plastic valves and are connected to the washer line. Check out this link which shows the complete windshield washer system and part numbers. Good Luck! http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95wiperwashercomponents.htm

Kermit
20-10-07, 05:38 AM
Jeez, why do people keep linking to the Saabsite when the answers are here all along? :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/agonyman/front-rearwashers.jpg

Part no.s 21 & 23 are your likely culprits. You will need to remove the hood sound padding to access them however.

Chris 9-5
20-10-07, 06:03 AM
What we need is a "search facility" :confused:

naz95
20-10-07, 10:01 AM
I think I have a bigger problem:( I unplugged the hose coming to the 1st check valve and tried the system. No liquid makes it to the check valve.

What's next? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Safiyya/Desktop/IMGP0043.JPG
BTW how do you insert pictures? I took some to post here, but was not very successful inserting them!

Seems like it may be the pump. I checked the fuses. How difficult (easy) is it to replace this? The Saab dealer in town wants $165 for the part, whereas the Saab site is selling it for only $25.

pab95
20-10-07, 04:17 PM
It sounds like the washer pump. I have never had to replace the pump but it seems easy enough. It is connected to the windshield washer reservoir which is in front of the front left wheel. I would test the pump before you buy a new one. Hook up 12v to it and see if it works.

You can add a photo by clicking on "manage attachments" and inserting your file. Or you can click on the insert image icon on the text editor and enter the url of the image.

robw
20-10-07, 05:15 PM
What we need is a "search facility" :confused:
Nah, it'll never happen. :p

naz95
20-10-07, 05:54 PM
Thanks! I got the pump out, did not need any tools! I pulled on the pump to get it out of the reservoir housing and then pushed it up to get the nozzle out. Now to find the part for a reasonabel price!

It sounds like the washer pump. I have never had to replace the pump but it seems easy enough. It is connected to the windshield washer reservoir which is in front of the front left wheel. I would test the pump before you buy a new one. Hook up 12v to it and see if it works.

You can add a photo by clicking on "manage attachments" and inserting your file. Or you can click on the insert image icon on the text editor and enter the url of the image.