Anyone had any experience with Audi 90's [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Anyone had any experience with Audi 90's

Cuba
03-10-07, 06:48 AM
A friend was looking at this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-120464534.htm) one. Was garaged for 5 years one year prior to now. The current owner seems to have ironed out any problems from the garaging (new headliner, starter etc.). Was owned by a pharmacist and has a full service record. Might make a good family car for him. I dunno. Certainly seems pretty tidy with relatively low mileage for it's age.

Albert Trout
03-10-07, 06:59 AM
My Dad had one the very same as that back in the day Cuba. It was his third. Nice cars. Five pot sounds great, the brakes are fantastic and the interior's are bombproof. If memory serves the steel's galvanised as well, so there shouldn't be tin worm issues.

The handling's another thing entirely. The weight feels like it's actually past the front axle. Bit like a back to front 911. Safe enough but not exactly fun.

SpecialTool
03-10-07, 08:08 AM
Pharmacists are generally careful owners, although it would be wise to check under the seats for uppers and downers.

concealer404
03-10-07, 09:10 AM
I had a 90 S Quattro 20v.

Awesome car. Mine was reliable as a rock, it DID like to understeer on technical roads. (Tail of the Dragon) However, for everyday driving, and even spirited backroad runs, it was great.

Mild suspension upgrades and good rubber go miles on this thing. The engine is awesome, i loved my interior, and they're all-around good looking cars.

SaabKen
03-10-07, 10:51 AM
Could be ok, but is your friend looking for a bullet-proof vehicle and will it be the only household car ?

A friend was looking at this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Audi/auction-120464534.htm) one. Was garaged for 5 years one year prior to now. The current owner seems to have ironed out any problems from the garaging (new headliner, starter etc.). Was owned by a pharmacist and has a full service record. Might make a good family car for him. I dunno. Certainly seems pretty tidy with relatively low mileage for it's age.

KSpark
03-10-07, 09:44 PM
The thing to look at on those older Audis is the auto transmission; they always seem to go bad. The 5 cylinder engine is fantastic, loads better than the usual 2.8 V6 that came in those. Also a bunch of electrical problems with those things, but since that one doesn't have anything (power seats/locks/windows/ACC) I don't see anything that could go wrong. Solid buy.

Cuba
03-10-07, 11:57 PM
Oh man the guy changed the auction. See what he's done the drip :lol: .

woywitka
04-10-07, 12:16 AM
"looks like a $2000 car"

oooooooooo!!!

Cuba
04-10-07, 02:28 AM
Yeah lol, but he also changed the starting bid to $10,000. :lol: :lol:

VikingSpirit
04-10-07, 07:38 AM
My Dad had one the very same as that back in the day Cuba. It was his third. Nice cars. Five pot sounds great, the brakes are fantastic and the interior's are bombproof. If memory serves the steel's galvanised as well, so there shouldn't be tin worm issues.

The handling's another thing entirely. The weight feels like it's actually past the front axle. Bit like a back to front 911. Safe enough but not exactly fun.

Thats cos the weight IS past the front axle! :p Its always a been feature of audis that the engine is nailed to the front grille. Even the 80's rallying quattro was like that, front axle mounted way back towards the cabin with the engine hanging out over the front. But then which other car company that we hold so dear did that as well?...:lol:

Very solid cars Audis, you get a lot of car for your money with the older ones, just a shame that the newer ones now seem to attract the sorts of driver's that BMW used to...