Hello/ECM Question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Hello/ECM Question

Fogcutter
01-06-03, 03:37 PM
Hello, everyone- I'm the proud owner of a 2002 Aero out here in San Francisco, and I just wanted to ask a quick question or two.

I'm thinking about upgrading my ECU and I want to clariy some things. I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but can you explain the difference between Ft/Lbs and Nm when referring to torque?

Also is there a difference between bhp and hp?

Sorry to be such a newbie- I assume these are just cross-the-pond differences. Is there a formula to convert the torque?

Also, this seems like a great group, but would I be better served by a US centered forum, if there is such a thing?

Nice to find some like-minded people,

Thanks & regards,

-martin

murphwiz
01-06-03, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the board!

Anyway... lb/ft and NM are just different units of measure for torque..
Bhp and HP are the same, as is PS at its sometimes referded to also!

Nice online conversion calc here:
http://www.metrication.com/cgi-bin/convert.cgi?Quantity=torque

mr saabman
01-06-03, 04:48 PM
Welcome to Saabcentral :)
but would I be better served by a US centered forum
That's up to you but you are most welcome here,plus I'm sure you will find the attitude of this board plus the wealth of techinical advice fine for your requirements.Stay around and make your own mind up.

By the way which upgrade were you thinking of going for?

Fogcutter
01-06-03, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply...and from the moderators as well!

I was thinking about the Speedparts Stage 1 from Taliaferro. I understand that one of you has this right now. Thoughts?

As much as I'd love to see my car look like the Hirsh package, I have to realistic about costs. The Speedparts ECM seems easy enough to handle, and I'm also very wary of voiding my warranty. The reason I bought a new 9-5 was to have the security of the warranty behind me, and it's also the reason I don't have a lot to spend on goodies! The payments are killing me! :lol: Do I understand correctly that the ECM will not void the warranty? Other things will have to come somewhere down the road, most likely after 5 years or 40000 miles, whichever comes first. :D (hint: the latter!)

Ahh...Blackpool- nice place! Good pubs and a damn fine roller coaster. And my wife's godparents live in Herts- in Radlett. Beautiful country.

Thanks again,

-martin

murphwiz
01-06-03, 06:43 PM
Any non saab upgrade will almost certainly void any warranty!

Fogcutter
01-06-03, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I certainly would have thought so as well. It's just that Taliaferros FAQ says that installation of a new ECM does NOT void the factory warranty. Thought that sounded a little fishy- wondered what people on this forum had to say about that.

Thanks again,

martin

murphwiz
01-06-03, 07:51 PM
Warranty may be a little different in the US..
In the UK it would certainly void it..
check with tallifero.. I've heard they are one of the good guys!

XAAMOTTOMAAX
07-06-03, 03:57 PM
The Saab dealer in my area is working directly with with Taliaferro and installing the stage 1 kit in house. According to the service director, it will not void the warranty.