Saab's Future inside GM [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Saab's Future inside GM

deniss
30-05-03, 05:58 PM
I've come across this article... you might find it interesting. opinions? comments?

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_saab_faces_tough/

SPG900
30-05-03, 09:47 PM
"The 9-3 wagon and cross/utility vehicles are safe, but Saab sources claim Italian coachmaker Bertone SpA had completed 80% of the production engineering of Saab's 9X when the program was "postponed." "

:cry:

bad, bad news.

Jet 9-3
30-05-03, 10:02 PM
The article's a little dated. They mention the 9-3 being to close to the 9-5 to make a sales splash, but since the article was written about 10 weeks ago, the sales have taken off, including the record month in the U.S.

Saab is just fine

deniss
30-05-03, 11:55 PM
that coincided with the introduction of Arc/Vector to North America, right?

I know Saab has set some records since then, but they were in pretty big mess already, so it will take time for them to recover from all the losses. I hope they keep doing well, and I dont see why not :)

TheRedRocket
31-05-03, 02:32 AM
bring back the classic 900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry if this is completely unrelated :oops:

garry
01-06-03, 05:16 PM
yep.... we need a retro 900....... c900r ?

I also agree with most of the points illuminated by this slightly anti saab author.

It has took 10 years to get the gm900/9-3 knocked into a winning package..... too long.

saab for me should be individual/solid/luxurious/fast/safe.
No need to develop custom technology to meet these requirements.

So...what is missing?

Development speed, attention to design detail and some new ideas people to sort the styling/image out.
Use GM technology,!! why not? ... Its how you blend it all together that counts.

Subaru/SAAB .... Embrace the concept! Two of the finest engineering bias motor manufacturers working together with the might of GM backing the plans...... Great!..... but its the IMAGE for both companys that requires the most attention and that's a job only reserved for a few of the best. Lets hope GM have the best on the books.

The SAAB image went wrong after GM bought SAAB. but I think this was SAAB's fault, not GM's.
Let (ME) run the show!... I'll sort out SAAB for you all ;)

The Retro 900 ? ......sure! Ill drive the team to create that!.....Just-letme-at'em

:D

Carl Hernandez
01-06-03, 09:57 PM
they need to drop the saab 2.3 HOT engine into the 9-2 for a really sick car.
imagine 230hp and AWD?
and if they use trionic on it then all you need to do is buy a viggen stage four chip to bring it up to ~300 hp.

garry
02-06-03, 05:15 AM
What about the Holden V8 from down under. I read something about this going into the new 9-3

SPG900
02-06-03, 07:36 PM
Please no... a retro 900 would be awful :nono;

Munki
02-06-03, 08:53 PM
Please no... a retro 900 would be awful :nono;
I agree...just take a look at the new Beetle and the new Mini... :o

deniss
03-06-03, 12:40 AM
I agree with Munki :)

if you look at car trends - everyone's going either retro or boxy... jeeezzz... when I looked at some pictures i was sorely disappointed that everyone's following the crowd. soon there's going to be very few truly original cars left to buy! hopefully saab wont go too retro...

i'm also not too keen on the idea of a SAABARU. subaru might be a fine racer but they sure are far from best when it comes to making mass-produced cars, meaning design, refinement, and material quality.

heh - i better buy me a saab before
1) there will be too much subaru influence
2) the production moves from sweden to us... heh

garry
03-06-03, 06:15 PM
the gm900 was an attempt to create a modern 900 .... styling cues can be pin pointed all over the body to refferance the c900 whilst also taking some cues fron the 80's concept effort.

If the GM900 looked even more c900 at launch it would have push saab ahead at the time. Looking back I remember the GM900 launch as dissapointing.

The problem could be the phrase 'retro' in this debate. as all the new 'retro' based ideas are in actual fact anything but retro in design anthropometrics or aesthetics. Quite the reverse in fact, very edgy and dare I say funky.... Maybe 'funky' is not very saab?

Again, It all simmers down to image not engineering. Engineering and technology in todays world is basicaly 'off the shelf' *shrug*
Image and detail is required above all else.

erm......

-ill get'me coat-

:D

900t
31-07-03, 09:36 PM
What about the Holden V8 from down under. I read something about this going into the new 9-3

Holden's V8 is the same as the ones installed in the Camaro/Firebird, until August 29th 02 (sad day)

Too big.

Plus, a Saab *without* a 4-cyl turbo?! Sacreligious!!1