7th September 2007, 02:30 PM
Too bad she didnt have a saab

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/09/07/pkg.mom.train.cnn

bringer
7th September 2007, 02:54 PM
Too bad she didnt have a saab

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/09/07/pkg.mom.train.cnn
Too bad she didn't have a brain.

Saw the video, this was no split second wrong move like flooring it instead of braking at the crossing.

This woman maneuvered and raced past the train in order to save 5 minutes of wait time...with a van full of kids. She was willing to recklessly risk the lives of her children for simple convenience. Her children have paid for her foolish actions.

I see people like this almost every day on the freeway or racing through busy parking lots in front of the grocery store. I have had to literally jump out of their way or be run over.

stamonkey
7th September 2007, 03:08 PM
Wow, I hope she recieves a couple of counts of murder and maybe some child endangerment for that.

peter_williams24@hotma
7th September 2007, 04:40 PM
Don't think a Saab would have made any difference...or an Abrams tank for that matter.............poor kids.

Peter

i want an aero
7th September 2007, 05:15 PM
anybody willing to risk the lives of their children don't deserve them. hope she gets a long stretch

AlbertaDrew
7th September 2007, 05:25 PM
Very sad situation that a parent could be so reckless. Hope she gets life in prison for this, its never worth it to take chances like that. Bet she understands that now.....

SaabKen
7th September 2007, 06:08 PM
Very stupid, very irresponsible, very tragic and very sad.

boon94
7th September 2007, 07:17 PM
Don't think a Saab would have made any difference...or an Abrams tank for that matter.............poor kids.
Peter

Yah, but she would have beat the train ;)

... plus i had to make it saab related

SMHarman
8th September 2007, 11:37 AM
I used to audit insurance and spent a good few days looking at motor insurance reinsurance claims (where the claim is large enough that the insurer can claim off their insurer). As soon as I saw the thread title I knew the outcome was never going to be good. You see the photographs of this sort of claim and you cannot even recognise the vehicle that was involved it looks like it has been through a crusher with the occupants inside.
This causes a crazy amount of damage to the trains too, rips all the brake lines from the train, bends axels etc.
Very sad.

grade8graydad
8th September 2007, 01:13 PM
What the heck was she thinking!!! Looked like attempted and partially successful murder-suicide to me. Almost as effective as pulling the trigger five times. Hoover, that makes me MAD! :x I work with parentally abused/neglected kids every day (teaching 8th grade in high-poverty district), and I don't understand what some of their parents are thinking when they say and do what they do. Grow up and be responsible adults!!! :(

Matt88S
8th September 2007, 02:14 PM
People make mistakes. In this padded wall rubber coated safetied everything world we live in, people get used to being able to make mistakes. So they don't worry about making them and thus make even more. Naturally itís also never "their" fault, that would interfere with their perception that these things are avoidable, they just happened because something wasnít made safe enough.

A suburban mom, itís portrayed as being normal or borderline cool for them to drive dangerously and cut corners, after all they are busy, flip on the tv, what do you see every other sitcom? A harried suburban mom in a minivan racing to pickup or drop off her kids. Its funny on tv, but in real life it might have never crossed her mind what would happen if she didn't make it, probably expected a big air bag to be mounted on the front of the train.

She lost two of her kids for a split second misjudgment. Her life is ruined, probably her marriage as well. I think thatís punishment enough.

Angua
8th September 2007, 08:38 PM
What sort of mother would put her children, let alone her own life in that position!
Was she on something?
She deserves all she gets.

MI-Roger
8th September 2007, 09:30 PM
She lost two of her kids for a split second misjudgment. Her life is ruined, probably her marriage as well. I think thatís punishment enough.

This was not a spilt second lapse of judgement. This was a deliberate decision to place herself and her innocent children in an extremely dangerous situation in order to save a few moments of her time.

She deserves maximum punishment for this act! Including severing all ties with her surviving children. If any survive.

scubasaab
8th September 2007, 11:13 PM
I'm not surprised to hear this happening, but this is a sad state of action for a human.
Life is precious and this woman obviously forgot this.
never and I mean NEVER try to cross tracks when trains are near.
I slow to a near stop at every crossing and look both ways before proceeding.
I don't care if I get honked at.
I am responsible for any lives that might be in contact with my vehicle as well as those within. As much as I enjoy driving, it is a privelage and a serious responsibility to do so.
Let's be safe and aware!:cool:
May these innocent children rest in peace:cry:

Frosty288
9th September 2007, 02:09 AM
People make mistakes. In this padded wall rubber coated safetied everything world we live in, people get used to being able to make mistakes. So they don't worry about making them and thus make even more. Naturally itís also never "their" fault, that would interfere with their perception that these things are avoidable, they just happened because something wasnít made safe enough.

A suburban mom, itís portrayed as being normal or borderline cool for them to drive dangerously and cut corners, after all they are busy, flip on the tv, what do you see every other sitcom? A harried suburban mom in a minivan racing to pickup or drop off her kids. Its funny on tv, but in real life it might have never crossed her mind what would happen if she didn't make it, probably expected a big air bag to be mounted on the front of the train.

I don't think there is any sort of excuse, explanation or anything that can account for this. Maybe i'm just being harsh, but I don't understand how any mother, or person for that matter, being stupid enough (barring mental illness) to let this happen.

It didn't cross her mind she was racing through a parking lot with a car full of kids, NEXT TO A TRAIN? It's ridiculous, that there is any thought or any reason that this wouldn't seem like a completely bad idea. It's common sense, we can't blame our world of safety or society for this, it's her own damn fault and she knew it. She made a concious decision, and an irresponsible reaction.

A split second misjudgment is wether you dive to catch the baseball or run for it.

edit: I'm PO'd.

Matt88S
9th September 2007, 02:26 AM
I'm slow to condemm, its a fault of mine. :roll:

SaabKen
9th September 2007, 03:48 AM
Now that pretty much views from many angles have been expressed, I say we give this thread a rest.

Thirsty9000
9th September 2007, 02:50 PM
Now that pretty much views from many angles have been expressed, I say we give this thread a rest.

umm... You forgot something....

DanS
9th September 2007, 08:34 PM
On a lighter side, there was a Saab parked in front of the brothel in the prostitution ring video. One of your folks?

A lexus got crumpled by a train in another. Don't try to beat a train.

SaabScott
9th September 2007, 09:57 PM
I think this one has run its course ... not much else left to be said.