99 viggen...what to look for before buying? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 99 viggen...what to look for before buying?

Drew'sSaab
6th September 2007, 12:45 AM
as the title reads....what shud i have my mechanic look for and what shud look for in the car...engine wise....i herd alot about sludge problems......the car has 117000 miles on it with stage 1 tune...and dp

thanks alot in advance.....

drew

Flashheart
11th September 2007, 02:52 PM
there are a ton of threads on here you should give a read to about buying that year - and esp. Viggens

But drop the oil pan and check for sludge is key
get service history - and if the throttle body has never been replaced...expect that as a possible service item based on threads

Generally - the usual work up - lines, hoses, rear strut tops (for rust or leaking water), brakes, etc.

Do a quick search on Viggens here...

Tweek's Turbos
11th September 2007, 07:21 PM
Make sure its blue, and if it doesn't have a sunroof, pass it up and let me know where to find the car.

AML93
11th September 2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah I mean if you just find a bunch of Viggens, with low miles, man. trans., you know, drop me a message. :cheesy:

I could barely find my 9-3

snowboardin58
11th September 2007, 08:13 PM
make sure to pull the valve cover off to do a quick check for sludge. If the engine runs fine and it is clean under there, then you shouldn't have to worry. If it is very stained or you see little chunkies, drop the pan. We just pulled the cover on our 99 Viggen and she's clean as a whistle, at 78K miles!!

nc73
11th September 2007, 09:17 PM
To do what some of you guys suggested you'd have to buy the car first. I wouldn't want anyone doing that to a car I'm selling. Just buy it cheap and fix it later.

Drew'sSaab
11th September 2007, 09:38 PM
thanks alot guys for the help...it helped me alot..im going to check this viggen out this weekend to see how she runs and all...ill let you guys know how it went

drew