Convertible Won't Come Up :-( Summer Almost Over [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Convertible Won't Come Up :-( Summer Almost Over

Maxtor
5th September 2007, 12:09 PM
My convertible top won't come up. Instead my windows begin to roll down by and inch or two everytime I hit the button. What's going on? Before this it had just completed a cycle going up and then down.

dcmartin
5th September 2007, 01:48 PM
"My convertible top won't come up. Instead my windows begin to roll down by and inch or two everytime I hit the button. What's going on? Before this it had just completed a cycle going up and then down."

Hey Maxtor, sorry to hear your top won't move. The saab conv is simple yet can be complex. :confused: primary electronics....does the circuit get 12v, are the sensors stopping the top from moving. Is the Hydraulic pump motor spining?

if the top moves or even budges a little bit that means that the circuit is being energized and you can probably rule out the fuses & relays.

Check your owners manual, it tells you how to put the top up by hand.

On my car....1999 9-3 you have to fold down the rear seat, right there in the middle of the opening that lets you access the trunk from the passenger compartment, lift the carpeting and you should see an oval plastic cap. Pull that off and you should see a "T" handle sitting on top of the pump. Mine has to be turned about 1/2 turn counter clockwise to release the pressure in the hydraulic system.....your owners manual will outline this procedure.

Next you have to pop the trunk, and just forward of the passenger side tail light..... along the 1/4 panel (pull the rug back) you insert a jack handle into a release mechanism and move in the direction given. Your owners manual will outline this procedure

Once all of this has been done, and the boot cover has been released you should be able to move the top by hand. It's heavy....if you are alone, try to move it by standing on the rear seat and pulling up from the middle.....MAKE SURE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE MOVE EQUALLY! you don't want to bend the bows.:nono; If you have a buddy then you can each grab a side and up you go!

Once the top is up, close up the hydraulic system.....by doing in the opposite of what you did to release the system.....before covering up the pump, toggle the switch and see if the pump kicks on or not........let us know what you find.

Good Luck
:cheesy: hope this helps

ragtopcav
5th September 2007, 05:06 PM
He has a 900 so the roof has no hydraulics, it is all electric.

Are you getting any message from the SID?

dcmartin
5th September 2007, 06:37 PM
Oh geeze, you are absolutely right ragtopcav! :lol: my bad....

dip
5th September 2007, 09:24 PM
It's your 5th bow latch motor not unlatching. They get jammed sometimes. Here's an advice I found on Saabnet a while ago. Open the trunk, unhook the lining covering the roof cowl, reach the underside of the tonneau cover and find the motor in the middle of it - it's a big bulge, you will feel it through the thin inner lining. Grab a hammer and hit the bulge a couple of times. Close the trunk and try the roof again ;]. Sounds scary, but worked like a charm on my car.

Maxtor
6th September 2007, 11:48 AM
It's your 5th bow latch motor not unlatching. They get jammed sometimes. Here's an advice I found on Saabnet a while ago. Open the trunk, unhook the lining covering the roof cowl, reach the underside of the tonneau cover and find the motor in the middle of it - it's a big bulge, you will feel it through the thin inner lining. Grab a hammer and hit the bulge a couple of times. Close the trunk and try the roof again ;]. Sounds scary, but worked like a charm on my car.

That does sound scary, actually i flinched when you said grab the hammer! Thanks ragtopcav and dcmartin for your replies. I am not getting any messages from the SID. So I'm going to try and hit the bulge.. wish me luck.

Maxtor
6th September 2007, 12:06 PM
Okay I cannot find the "roof cowl" I'm not sure what part you are talking about. I opened the trunk and try to remove that lining but it is screwed in. Should i remove all the screws?

dip
6th September 2007, 10:13 PM
It's fastened by plastic tabs - there's three of them along the top line of the trunk.

Maxtor
10th September 2007, 08:24 PM
AMAZING! It did work like a charm. I was having so much trouble from it, I almost gave up. Now I'm riding with the top down, the last few days of warm weather. Thank you so much.

dip
10th September 2007, 09:08 PM
Glad to hear! There really is a lot of things a hammer can help you with on this car :cheesy:

JeffX
11th September 2007, 08:10 AM
Wow!

I will remember this thread in case I ever have trouble.

willsmysticcobra
13th September 2007, 05:54 PM
is the "bulge" about the size of your hand? I just followed those instructions but I didn`t have a hammer I just used my fist... do you think a strike of the hammer will do the trick? also how are you guys even fitting a hammer in there haha?