Brake Noise/pedal drop Question [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Brake Noise/pedal drop Question

Dentlerr
28-08-07, 06:30 PM
Sometimes, right after I start up the car, If I am in a posisition where I have to use the brake right away for a couple seconds, like parked on a hill, and hold it down for 5-10 seconds, I will hear a clunk (sounds like a spring just let loose, under the hood, my brake pedal will sink a little bit (maybe a half inch), and then everything seems normal. Brakes work fine before and after the noise/pedal drop. If the car has run for a minute, I have never noticed it, only noticed when first starting out. If i have parked it for a while, it may do it again when first starting up. I thought maybe the noise was coming from the ABS module (seems to come from that side of the car). I have no leaking or missing brake flluid and the brakes work fine. The pedal does not fall lower later. Brake pads are about 40% now.
Any ideas? My next thought is to walk beside the car as my son backs that car up and see if I can see if the noise happens when first run for the day.
1995 900S Convertible, 2.3L, AT

LostAbbott
28-08-07, 06:48 PM
Well I don't think you have any springs that would do that also if a spring was caught or stuck on something at break release it would happen every time you use the brakes.

My thought was air in your line or just reall old bad fluid. I would bleed your system and replace with new stuff. My second thought is that one of your calipers is a little stuck or maybe one of the pads got seated wrong and is not connecting properly with the rotor.

Dentlerr
28-08-07, 07:38 PM
good call, I didn't think about a stuck caliper.... sounds plausible though

LostAbbott
28-08-07, 11:05 PM
yeah I just redid the brakes on my Viggen and those calipers can definitely get rusty and stuck on the brake pad or stuck some other way, especially when they do not get greased properly with pad grease or whatever it is called. Let us know what you find out.

Dentlerr
29-08-07, 12:45 AM
I will let you know. TOday I tested the brakes by parking on a hill at work. They did give that spring noise again but it was followed by a couple more "tings" as the pedal was dropping. seems like the noise was from under the hood. I am going to look at it this weekend if not sooner....