car sercurity breached for most cars [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: car sercurity breached for most cars

untakenname
24-08-07, 02:51 PM
saw this and thought it was of interest for anyone driving a gm era saab
http://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/keeloq/
its a bit of a long winded way of stealing a car so I think peoples cars are safe for now.

Airflow
24-08-07, 03:05 PM
saw this and thought it was of interest for anyone driving a gm era saab
http://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/keeloq/
its a bit of a long winded way of stealing a car so I think peoples cars are safe for now.

Hmm - they claim to be able to "drive away" the car. Perhaps they can get the doors open by hacking the code between the remote and the car in this way, but surely the ability to drive it away relies on a separate code between the car's actual physical key and the transponder in the ignition lock barrel, and in the case of a Saab, the further defeating of the physical reverse gear or P-position lock on the gear lever.

DavidMorgan
24-08-07, 03:25 PM
A Belgian joke maybe..:roll:
And who is going to hand over their key for an hour..
Since '03 the 9-3s no longer lock their gear lever in reverse before pulling the key out.. shame.

Jubilee Vert
24-08-07, 03:50 PM
A Belgian joke maybe..:roll:
And who is going to hand over their key for an hour.......

I was wondering if it was a Joke too. If you are going to get the guys key for an hour, why not just take the car with the key :roll:.

Saabohème
24-08-07, 04:23 PM
This research is the joint work between 3 research groups: the computer science department of the Technion, Israel, the research group COSIC of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, and the math department of the Hebrew University, Israel.
A technology steeped in Judaeo-Christian tradition with No Protestant involvement. Does this mean that Protestant theology takes no moral position on car theft, or that car theft is frowned upon by the credos of these respective branches? Or does it mean the Potestants simply could not form an ecumenical position on the topic? Maybe . . . it means nothing.

DavidMorgan
24-08-07, 04:28 PM
I think it means there is no reason for us on a, sorry ,The SAAB forum to be concerned ..... Politics, religion we leave outside.

Saabohème
24-08-07, 04:41 PM
I think it means there is no reason for us on a, sorry ,The SAAB forum to be concerned ..... Politics, religion we leave outside.As it should be. I worship things made of papier mache and my faith is utterly confused on the topic currently. I am sure we will weigh in on it after we have heard from the decoupage people.