oil cooler mounting - does it matter which way up it goes? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: oil cooler mounting - does it matter which way up it goes?

Tomarse
17th August 2007, 07:00 PM
Does it matter which way up/round an oil cooler is mounted in relation to the inlet/outlet pipes? (i.e. can i put it vertically rather than horizontally?)

And does it matter if the cooler is mounted higher up (behind the grill is what i'm thinking) rather than low down?

I'm assuming it makes no difference as the oil should be pumped with enough pressure that it shouldnt matter - but thought i would check!

Breakin5speeds
18th August 2007, 02:42 AM
shouldn't be an issue, 9000's have a rather beefy oil cooler mounted vertically along side the radiator, I have contemplated fitting one to my car, I just wouldn't mount one upside down....

nuclear_jimbo
18th August 2007, 06:58 AM
Doesn't make a difference - I moved the oil cooler in my MGB from behind the front number plate to just below the bonnet landing panel and turned it upside down when I rebuilt the car. It's about 18" higher than it was and there have been no issues with oil pressure etc.

Tomarse
18th August 2007, 08:33 AM
cool. thanks guys. Im going to try and mount mine just under the bonnet latch too.

allessence
18th August 2007, 08:53 AM
I'd be careful if it is a used oil cooler. Especially a bigger one.

The coolers have a tendancy to hold metal and other particals that make it thru the filter and then sit/settle on the bottom of the oil cooler. So, if you change locations/orientaition then the partical may come loose all at once and then you would have metal and garbage moving around the oil system.

I have heard horror stories of someone fitting a used oil cooler (even with cleaning it as well as possible, less taking it all apart) and then the motor bearings getting fried.