My first few 'mods' [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: My first few 'mods'

CleveSaab
26th May 2003, 08:06 PM
Ok, so my standard hubcaps looked like hell. They are chipped and peeling everywhere (photo 1). Squishman gave me the idea to just repaint them, so that was my plan for them. Today I went to Kmart to get some license fasteners...and I saw these new caps. $14.99 for 4 (pics 2 and 3). They didn't look too bad. Hmmmm. I even asked a girl walking by. "These don't look too cheesy, do they?". She said "No, they look kinda' standard". Standard will do!!
My other +2hp mod ( ;) ). When I was in VA Beach we went into a Nascar shop (I had no desire too...my bud's a NASCAR nut). Found these caps for the valve stems (pic 4).

Don't look too bad, do they?
(Pic are poor quality...using a friends DV Camcorder to take them).

Saab4Life
26th May 2003, 10:59 PM
change the channel.... ish hubcaps .. invest in rims please!

CleveSaab
27th May 2003, 12:04 AM
Really? Are they that bad?!?
:(

Rims are SO not in my budget, right now.

Rob Sandey
27th May 2003, 01:36 AM
I think the hub caps are okay, probably find some Saab alloys on Ebay if you wanted to go that route in the future. I like the valve covers 8)
Cheers Rob

CleveSaab
27th May 2003, 12:36 PM
Come on, two comments? I'd really like your opinions, guys (tx to those that replied ;) ). Don't be afraid to tell me you hate it.
I think it looks 1,000% better than the beat up Saab 'caps I had on it. I think it's a steal at $15. :) Yes, it is a temporary solution. I was just going to buy new Saab rims. They are $125/4. This will do til I can afford that....or get some rims used somwhere. I've really spent a ton of money on my cars so far this year. If not for that, I could have got rims. 8)
...and now...
My 98 needs some front end work (after hitting a pothole as deep as my tire). Hopefully just a front end align.

squishmann
27th May 2003, 12:42 PM
heck yea they look a lot better for 15 bucks

well worth it

CleveSaab
27th May 2003, 07:57 PM
Put my new smoked side-markers in. Couldn't be easier.
Of course, it's raining today, two days after I washed it. :evil:

TheRedRocket
27th May 2003, 09:02 PM
BIG improvement, but, You do need a set of alloy's :!

ATXBoost9point3
27th May 2003, 11:07 PM
hey, for 15 bucks that's a good deal. beside's what size are the wheels on your car now, 15's? i would have to say that until you get 17's or 16's hubcaps are fine. If you like the looks, then so do I, they are cool hubcaps.

rims are expensive anyway, and don't do anything except act as "rims"

enjoy your inexpensive money smart buy!

Q-SAAB
27th May 2003, 11:40 PM
Love the hub caps - for 15 bucks it's worth it until you can afford the full 16" or 17" (or even 18") upgrade and the tires that will have to go with it.

Cool valve caps, too - the world needs more griffins - I want one on my hood to make my TRANS-SAAB, or would that be a SAAB-AM......?

BTW, if your floor mats wear out (like mine did) and dropping a cool C-note on a new SAAB set is not to palatable (as it wasn't for me) then Auto-Zone has a set for 15 bucks that will work just fine.

C

CleveSaab
28th May 2003, 01:13 AM
But 15 inch rims would be cheaper?! LOL
I'd like 16's. The tires are still in great shape, so maybe when they need replaced....

Already have those floor mats :). That's the one thing that was missing in this car when I bought it. Oh, and the cupholder was MIA also.
I like how my 98 Vert has 'poles' or whatever, to keep the floor mats in place. 94 doesn't have that.

Q-SAAB
28th May 2003, 01:24 AM
As far as the cup holder goes, you can have mine. The place that SAAB put it - between the front seats - just stinks of "afterthought" - and it doesn't do a particularly good job of keeping my coffee OFF my window controls. I hate to admit it, but there are some creature-comfort areas where I really do appreciate the wife's Maxima.
:oops:

C

CleveSaab
28th May 2003, 10:21 AM
O, no, I got one a week after I bought the car. ;)
I do agree, though. That's one gripe I have with these. I've already had to clean both Mountain Dew and Coffee out of my coinholder. :evil:

20Ted
28th May 2003, 12:10 PM
I've already had to clean both Mountain Dew and Coffee out of my coinholder. :evil:

I had an entire grande latte dump onto my window controls last week :x The switches are still acting funny - they now have a 2 second delay feature built in!

CleveSaab
30th May 2003, 02:56 PM
DAMN! I should have bought these! I was watching them and missed the close of the auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43956&item=2416564162

PunktKruger
30th May 2003, 06:04 PM
Holy crap! $200 hub caps? That's nuts.

They look fine Cleve, but I'd personally pull the hub caps off and paint the steelies flat black. :)

CleveSaab
30th May 2003, 06:05 PM
Caps?? No, my man, they are RIMS.

PunktKruger
30th May 2003, 06:28 PM
My bad. I just scrolled down and glanced and figured they were more hubcaps.

$200 aint a bad price for those, IMO. You missed out. :cry: