custom exhaust [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: custom exhaust

joel0913
15th August 2007, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone,

Ill go right out and say it I dont like the sound of the saab sport exhaust, and know a shop who could fab up something pretty cheap, and was thinking of having them do a custom 3" back (i already have the dp) Anybody reccomend any mufflers to keep my car QUIET like stock. I really want to be 3" all the way but cant stand a loud exhuast. Would the stock muffler be restrictive on the end of a 3" system, or would another muffler be better?

Thanks
Joel

Tweek's Turbos
15th August 2007, 01:16 PM
I think nick at genuine sells a center resonator that just bolts on in place of the current middle piece.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_24&products_id=121
It says quiet, center resonator, non turbo, just find out what he means. It may be chamberd. Although I know Abdukted has something to this effect on his 9-3.

lowbudgethero
15th August 2007, 01:22 PM
borla always sounds nice

Bummer 9-3
15th August 2007, 01:41 PM
I think nick at genuine sells a center resonator that just bolts on in place of the current middle piece.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_24&products_id=121
It says quiet, center resonator, non turbo, just find out what he means. It may be chamberd. Although I know Abdukted has something to this effect on his 9-3.
Is that only for the non-turbo cars tho..??

joel0913
15th August 2007, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=Tweek's Turbos]I think nick at genuine sells a center resonator that just bolts on in place of the current middle piece.

Bummer- youre right i think, Ive been told by the people at genuine saab its only really for the non-turbo cars, that I wouldnt want it for my car. However if that would work for my car thats something id be interested in...

P.S. Do resonators restrict flow (and is a muffler a resonator?)? Would a 3" straight back be free-er than a 3" with a resonator?

maybe abdukted will chime in

Thanks guys
Joel

DFroelich
15th August 2007, 03:12 PM
Back when I drove an integra, I added a 22" resonator to the middle of my loud, obnoxious exhaust. It reduced the noise so much, it sounded near stock. Just make sure you get one that doesn't have anything protruding into the exhaust stream. The magnaflow one I had looked just like a cherry bomb glasspack on the inside but should've lasted much longer.

redrum
15th August 2007, 06:53 PM
A resonator is really the same thing as a straight-through muffler. Most stock mufflers have chambers, while many performance mufflers have a straight-through design, with the pipe being perforated and surrounded by a sound-deadening material, usually fiberglass or steel wool.

This is the type of resonator that you want, it is smooth and perforated on the inside.
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august02/revenge_nerds/images/kojima5.jpg

You want to avoid ones with louvered cores, as these can be extremely restrictive.
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august02/revenge_nerds/images/kojima2.jpg

A word of caution with custom exhausts- you'll not know what it sounds like until its been made and paid for, and if you dont like it you're basically stuck, unless you want to pay for additional/replacement mufflers or resonators. Additionally, the Saab Sport is all stainless, to have a full mandrel bent, stainless exhaust made will be significantly more expensive.

I would also like something quieter than the Saab Sport, but have yet to find anything better.

TheGodSon93
15th August 2007, 07:28 PM
can i just ask a question why put a 3'' system on and not want the noise seems pointless as you want to put it on then tone the noise down is that not just restricting it again ?????

Bummer 9-3
15th August 2007, 10:53 PM
i agree with that^^^

joel0913
16th August 2007, 08:42 AM
in response to the above comments,

If resonators were restrictive, than yes that would be the case. But in answering my question, redrum showed that some resonators have a straight through design in which it would be not much more if at all restrictive over a straight 3" pipe. If I am receiving redrum's post correctly, and my assumption above is correct...then

Its not pointless, becasue for me the 3" exhaust means i reap the benefits of having a free-er flowing exhasut for when i get a tune down the road, and thats all it means. function. Nice, understated, function is what im after.

Joel

mike saunders
16th August 2007, 11:45 AM
I have a 3" turbo back with a straight-through center resonator, and chose it for many of the same reasons you're experiencing. I like my neighbors and didn't want to wake them every time I came down our street.

At idle, the system is just barely slightly louder than stock (actually more deeper than louder, with a bit more rumble)...but only wakes up folks at full throttle...

joel0913
16th August 2007, 12:22 PM
Mike,

Is your exhaust the saab sport, or another version?
So what im hearing is that straight through center resonators tend to turn the volume down while maintaining the three inch flow benefits. Just what im looking for. :cool:

anybody have videos or sound clips of genuine saabs quiet version?

Thanks for the input everyone. :D

-Joel

NahumCC
16th August 2007, 12:22 PM
I have a 3" turbo back with a straight-through center resonator, and chose it for many of the same reasons you're experiencing. I like my neighbors and didn't want to wake them every time I came down our street.

At idle, the system is just barely slightly louder than stock (actually more deeper than louder, with a bit more rumble)...but only wakes up folks at full throttle...

Also to the whoever was saying something about the non-turbo version of saab sport can't be used on a turbo thats false. I'm running it right now with a 3 inch downpipe from GS. Its a straight through design and you won't have any issues. Sounds wonderful and has a nice quiet but deep burble at idle and becomes louder right as boost comes in.

TheGodSon93
16th August 2007, 01:05 PM

but waking up my neighbors is fun lol