Cooling Fan [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Cooling Fan

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 03:00 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 1991 900 base model. I have a question about the radiator cooling fan.

OK, the fan on the left is for AC, correct? Sorry for being so ignorant, but this does not help cool the radiator/engine any does it?

I am just trying to eliminate the reasons why my car might be heating up a bit in stop and go traffic. The temp gauge goes about 1/4 way up, so I think this is a little excessive, don't you? I have replaced the thermostat, radiator hoses, new radiator fluid. The cooling fan on the right kicks on but it still does not seem to cool it down like it should.

Thanks

Lisa

James Bond
13th August 2007, 03:04 PM
Well, my a/c fan has worn out and the car does get a bit too hot in traffic.

So, I'm fitting a new fan tomorrow (NOT Saab part!). I'll let you know what happens.

The mechanic did say that the a/c fan is important for the entire cooling of the system.

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 03:07 PM
OK, another dumb question. I do not use my AC, as the belt was missing when I bought the car. So, therefore, I am not sure if the AC compressor even works. With that being said, does the compressor need to work to kick on the AC fan?

Thanks

Lisa

gurn
13th August 2007, 03:13 PM
go to www.townsendimports.com (http://www.townsendimports.com) and there is a section on how to make the ac cooling fan run with the other fan without the ac on. You may also have a head gasket going out too. Quite common on the 2.1 eng. which yours is. The new improved head gasket rerouts some cooling ports and makes it run cooler. It did on mine at least.Is there any oil in your coolent tank?

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 03:16 PM
There is absolutely no oil in the coolant tank/reservoir. The car has great compression and no oil looks that I can see. There is no smoking from the exhaust, or any "funny" sounds from the engine. The car runs great, other than warming in traffic.

Thanks Guys for your continued advice.

gurn
13th August 2007, 03:16 PM
you can do that. But I would pull the ac clutch wire so the clutch will not engage.

gurn
13th August 2007, 03:20 PM
Have you checked the ac system to see if it still has gas in it? and if the compresser will turn by hand. If so I would put a belt on it and try it out. I love my AC!

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 03:44 PM
http://townsendimports.com/Web/cooling_system_folder/hightempsbpg1.htm

GURU, THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

I will give this to my mechanic!

SteveTheFolkie
13th August 2007, 03:50 PM
I have replaced the thermostat, radiator hoses, new radiator fluid. The cooling fan on the right kicks on but it still does not seem to cool it down like it should.

Hi Lisa - when you did your cooling system work, did you bleed the system? There's a nipple on top of the thermostat housing - let the car get to operating temperature (so the thermostat is open) - slip some plastic hose over the nipple and route it into a container and open the valve - if you get a bunch of air then your cooling system wasn't bled correctly - it should be a nice steady stream of coolant with no or very few bubbles. If you do get a burst of air bleed it - let it run a bit - bleed it again (just to make sure) then turn off the car and dump the coolant from the container back into the overflow tank.

Be careful when you're doing this - hot coolant is - well - hot and burns like the dickens - make sure the tubing is secure on the nipple, unobstructed and is fixed in the catch container so it doesn't start whipping around spraying everyone nearby with coolant. Having had a hose burst while looking under the hood of a customers car (back in my college days when I made beer money pretending to be a mechanic) was an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone (outside of a few politicians and perhaps the odd CEO or two:cheesy: )

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 03:56 PM
YEP, it was bled. I tried to personally bleed it, but could not get a steady "flow". So, I took it to a mechanic, whom bled it, and it never seemed like there was any air in it. He determined my "jumpy" temperature gauge was caused by the temp sender wire, but that is not my problem now. Now, it's the overheating in stop and go traffic. I will try having the AC fan wiring rerouted so that both fans blow (now only one does because my AC is not currently functioning, due to a belt missing). I am not sure if the compressor works, as the belt was off when I bought the car. I guess I could buy the belt and replace that first, and see if having the AC run (thereby running the AC fan) will help cool the engine.

Thanks

SpecialTool
13th August 2007, 07:42 PM
Hey Guys,

The temp gauge goes about 1/4 way up, so I think this is a little excessive, don't you?

Hardly. Did you mean 3/4 way up? If so, the problem may be the thermoswitch (top LHS of radiator). This is the switch that tells the fans to come on.

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 07:48 PM
Yes, I meant 3/4

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 07:54 PM
Would a thermoswitch cause it to overheat only in stop and go traffic though?

900t
13th August 2007, 08:10 PM
Would a thermoswitch cause it to overheat only in stop and go traffic though?

Yes... it doesn't get any more "classic thermoswitch problem" than that :lol:

LHILDRETH
13th August 2007, 08:14 PM
Is thermoswitch the "official" name for this? Where can I buy one? Thanks guys.

Jim Mesthene
13th August 2007, 08:19 PM
If it doesn't go above 3/4 on the gauge in traffic on a hot day, it's working normally and needs no repair.

Matt88S
13th August 2007, 08:25 PM
Yes... it doesn't get any more "classic thermoswitch problem" than that :lol:

I don't know, the fan is still kicking on is it not? And its still not cooling down properly? I'm wondering if your radiator isn't getting plugged up.

SteveTheFolkie
13th August 2007, 09:17 PM
Is thermoswitch the "official" name for this? Where can I buy one? Thanks guys.eeuroparts.com has 'em - http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5718

900t
13th August 2007, 09:19 PM
I don't know, the fan is still kicking on is it not? And its still not cooling down properly? I'm wondering if your radiator isn't getting plugged up.

Hmm if the fan is going... Depends at what point the fan kicks in I guess. If the fan kicks in at 3/4 then it is not ideal... if the fan kicks in at 1/2 then good.

Jim Mesthene
14th August 2007, 11:35 AM
If the fan kicks in at 3/4 then it is ....
...just like the hundreds of brand new 900s I did the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) on.

900t
14th August 2007, 08:34 PM
...just like the hundreds of brand new 900s I did the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) on.

Got to love Swedish build quality... give me a Lada Niva anyday :D

SpecialTool
14th August 2007, 10:45 PM

Sorry Jim, common sense dictates that 1/2 way is good, 3/4 is bad.:cool:

philjohnhb
15th August 2007, 05:33 AM

So, 3/4 of the way up is normal is it Jim?

philjohnhb
15th August 2007, 05:35 AM
Sorry Jim, common sense dictates that 1/2 way is good, 3/4 is bad.:cool:

Don't see why, the normal temp operating band of an engine must be wider than just a few degrees.

SpecialTool
15th August 2007, 06:33 AM
Sorry, just being facetious.

SaabMon
16th August 2007, 10:24 PM
OK, another dumb question. I do not use my AC, as the belt was missing when I bought the car. So, therefore, I am not sure if the AC compressor even works. With that being said, does the compressor need to work to kick on the AC fan?

Thanks

LisaJust unplug the wire going to the AC compressor,and then push the AC button,and the AC fan should come on.You can turn it off or on as you like.It does help cool the engine.:)