Maybe a bit of a strange question... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Maybe a bit of a strange question...

fishhyren11
01-08-07, 09:58 AM
This may be a bit of a strange question... but..
When I turn the key to on (before starting) and the gauges jump... and then turn the key to off... I hear a slight ticking sounds as the gauges drop (like they're being hindered by something...)
Also, I noticed yesterday when I rev up a little and let it drop back down you can hear it "click" like a stopwatch as it drops back down to idle (the tach
You can almost SEE it slow down on the way down too...

Is this just a way to "slow" the gauges down so they stay smooth instead of just dropping?
It definitely seems to add a little lag to the tachometer...

Thanks!

Warren Demontague
01-08-07, 10:01 AM
The sound you hear when putting the key in and out may be the steering wheel lock disengaging/engaging. Sometimes when the wheel is turned you'll see it jiggle when the lock disengages.

fishhyren11
01-08-07, 10:04 AM
The sound you hear when putting the key in and out may be the steering wheel lock disengaging/engaging. Sometimes when the wheel is turned you'll see it jiggle when the lock disengages.

This is after the key is in- not the "CLICK" when i put the key in and take it out...
It's when the gauges activate when you put it to "on"... like the gas gauge and temp going up...
it's a subtle ticking sound... like a wound up spring...

Warren Demontague
01-08-07, 10:06 AM
Do you hear the sound when you turn Nightpanel on/off?

fishhyren11
01-08-07, 10:12 AM
Do you hear the sound when you turn Nightpanel on/off?

Yes, I hear it there too... And also when on the Tach side when I rev up (out of gear) and then let it fall...

DavidMorgan
01-08-07, 10:19 AM
I think this just the Troll gremlins waking up and getting in place..:cheesy:

Warren Demontague
01-08-07, 10:28 AM
Yes, I hear it there too... And also when on the Tach side when I rev up (out of gear) and then let it fall...

I've never heard it myself, but I think it's probably normal unless by some weird chance something isn't attached correctly or there is something physically hindering the movement of the tach needle.

6lines2define
01-08-07, 02:28 PM
This may be a bit of a strange question... but..
When I turn the key to on (before starting) and the gauges jump... and then turn the key to off... I hear a slight ticking sounds as the gauges drop (like they're being hindered by something...)
Also, I noticed yesterday when I rev up a little and let it drop back down you can hear it "click" like a stopwatch as it drops back down to idle (the tach
You can almost SEE it slow down on the way down too...

Is this just a way to "slow" the gauges down so they stay smooth instead of just dropping?
It definitely seems to add a little lag to the tachometer...

Thanks!

Don't be alarmed. I hear it to when I get in my car and put the key in. It sounds like a faint ticking, but it only last 10 seconds tops. I think we are talking about the same noise. I don't think it is anything other than normal. I have had no problems and haven't noticed any skipping in the guages or what not. I always just thought it was the car waking up :D (and it probably is!).

@lice
01-08-07, 03:18 PM
I hear the ticking which imo comes from cabin air distribution system. I think it resets some actuators.
Could it be that?

fishhyren11
01-08-07, 04:48 PM
I hear the ticking which imo comes from cabin air distribution system. I think it resets some actuators.
Could it be that?

I've heard that... that kinda sounds more like a "whine"
This is actually linked to the movement of the dials (you only hear it when they move up or down).

DavidMorgan
01-08-07, 04:51 PM
I've heard that... that kinda sounds more like a "whine"
This is actually linked to the movement of the dials (you only hear it when they move up or down).
The Trolls do whine a little.. But what is important is lett them do their business and don't start until the "checking" turns to " check OK". Then drive but wait until the motor is warm before pushing the turbo...:cheesy:

psychop
01-08-07, 05:14 PM
Could it be that?

Bingo. this is the actuators doing the reset job.

Diggs
01-08-07, 05:18 PM
I dunno about everyone else, but on my car.....

Hiss/whine=SAI after a cold start
Ticking=ACC after a cold start

Messing with the fan speed/turning the AC on or off/turning the ACC off (since it is always automatically on at a cold start), changes the rate at which it ticks. It still ticks, albeit less frequently, even when completely off.

Both go away within a minute after startup.

fishhyren11
01-08-07, 05:43 PM
I think I need to clarify a little more...

This is NOT the keyin/keyout steering lock or the ACC sound

The closest thing I can think of is the sound of an old analog dial catching a little on the cable... I hear THIS noise ONLY when the needles move. Almost sounds like it's going through "notches" as they move up and down... if you look REALLY closely you can actually SEE where they almost hang and click as they move...

veilside3kgt
01-08-07, 07:42 PM
my car also has the ghost ticking sound...I have no idea what it could be but does it when i open the door or put pressure on the seat or anything. once in awhile it wont do it but most of the time it does. odd???