Technical advice needed on chip tuning kit [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Technical advice needed on chip tuning kit

Benzo
21st May 2003, 12:40 AM
Hi folks,

I need your help to decide which chip tuning kit I need for my 9-5 estate 2000 2.3 T lpt. I have seen all that is around, Hish, speedparts, map tun, in swedish or english :wink: but I can't find out which one is best technically :roll: (I found prices and stuff) so my point is which of the kit is best for me. My criteria:

#1. Loads of torque at low revs
#2. Loads of Horse Power

Thanks in advance for your advice and tips.

murphwiz
21st May 2003, 09:28 AM
In bang for buck terms the speedparts route takes some beating...
I've the speedparts on my 2.3, and its fuuunnn! :D

They are all quality outfits, with good reputations.. so its really your choice!

Benzo
21st May 2003, 04:52 PM
Murphwiz,

Thanks for your tips, what would be technically (according to you) the difference between let's say a speedparts ECU upgrade and a Horsh T7 upgrade (not concidering the price)?

murphwiz
21st May 2003, 04:59 PM
The power torque curves are slightly better with the hirsch... and the outputs a little more conservative..
Hirsch are TUV approved, which leads to a whole lot of extra development cost..

mr saabman
22nd May 2003, 02:12 PM
I may be a bit biased after going for the Speedparts upgrade myself :oops: but it is fun :D :D

Benzo
22nd May 2003, 04:41 PM
Murphiwz and Saabman,

Thanks :wink: , I think it all depends on cash and driving style. Where I leave, in NL, we are suffering from a lot of traffic jam / congestions so loads of torque = more smooth driving on 3rd gear only for example.

One other point, I am not so sure about. I think to recall that Hirsh kit works on normal unleaded 95 and the others on unleaded 98. Excuse my ignorance but I have a few questions:
- Why do you have to use 98 after chip tunning?
- what are the perf if 95 is used instead of 98?

let me know :D

B

murphwiz
23rd May 2003, 09:22 AM
you can use 95 unleaded on any ecu..
but you will only benefit fully from the extra oommmpph by using 98+

98 octane simply burns better releasing more energy, so the bang per buck is higher if you see what I mean :-?