exhaust wrap [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: exhaust wrap

screamingreen97
16-07-07, 12:06 PM
so i wrapped my downpipe with the exhaust wrap....WOW...what a difference...i found my lost boost with it too...my intake temps were at a max of 180 degrees F the other day at idle on the roads...today, i let it idle in the driveway for 10 min....the temp was at 89...then driving, the max was i think 125...and cruising between 108-118....i knew the loss of boost was prob from the heat....im going to further wrap the intake pipe with the reflective stuff from home depot prob later on....but wow...big difference

Warumono
16-07-07, 12:17 PM
what did you use? do you have any pics?

screamingreen97
16-07-07, 12:23 PM
ummm...i forgot what brand i used, but it was like 35 bux for a 1" by 50' roll....and i still have some left over... ill take pix once i have all the wrapping done with the intake

redrum
16-07-07, 12:50 PM
Just a note for anyone considering this- exhaust wrap will hold moisture, so it should only be used on stainless if the car is daily driven.

Jet-Hot or similar coatings are another, more expensive alternative.

screamingreen97
16-07-07, 01:13 PM
Just a note for anyone considering this- exhaust wrap will hold moisture, so it should only be used on stainless if the car is daily driven.

Jet-Hot or similar coatings are another, more expensive alternative.

the packaging said it lets the moisture out...so i think i got a pretty expensive one lol...name brand...i saw others for like 10 bux, and i was like, nah, ill spend the xtra for the name brand

brand is called: Thermo-tec

Saabohème
16-07-07, 01:49 PM
brand is called: Thermo-tec Yep - that's a good one - right here in Ohio. You can get it at Jeg's (another Ohio company), or Summit Racing (another Ohio company), etc.

screamingreen97
16-07-07, 02:12 PM
Yep - that's a good one - right here in Ohio. You can get it at Jeg's (another Ohio company), or Summit Racing (another Ohio company), etc.

ya it would have been cheaper through my sponsorship, 15 bux for a 50 foot roll...and its DEI...i just didnt wanna wait like 3 weeks for it to arrive here

fromero
16-07-07, 04:24 PM
I wonder...

Being one of the factors of oil sludge the fact that the exaust and catalyst are under the oil pan, wouldn't it be great to wrap that area and insulate as much as possible the catalyst?
Anybody knows if this would affect the catalyst?
I imagine not, as I see turbos and downpipes fully insulated....

Saabohème
16-07-07, 04:32 PM
I wonder...

Being one of the factors of oil sludge the fact that the exaust and catalyst are under the oil pan, wouldn't it be great to wrap that area and insulate as much as possible the catalyst?
Anybody knows if this would affect the catalyst?
I imagine not, as I see turbos and downpipes fully insulated.... One other positive thing it would do would be to help speed up the heating of the cat. They only do their jobs when they reach a certain temperature. So, there would be a positive environmental impact. Not sure if this would negatively impact longevity of the cat though. Anyone? Bueller?

PETER SAABER
16-07-07, 05:46 PM
did the exhaust wrap smoke? I've had it smoke and smell bad for about a day, and have heard that too from others.

The reflective stuff, I have some, and have been playing with it. Will it really work? My tests :D have shown that it doeas keep the intake pipe colder, and it doesnt melt. I called and they said it melts at high temp on contact, but an inch away it will be fine, after a week my test strip hasnt melted, scorched, caught fire or slid (contract?, shrink?) So I figure it'll be ok. Now how would I wrap the intake? airbox?

screamingreen97
16-07-07, 06:30 PM
did the exhaust wrap smoke? I've had it smoke and smell bad for about a day, and have heard that too from others.

The reflective stuff, I have some, and have been playing with it. Will it really work? My tests :D have shown that it doeas keep the intake pipe colder, and it doesnt melt. I called and they said it melts at high temp on contact, but an inch away it will be fine, after a week my test strip hasnt melted, scorched, caught fire or slid (contract?, shrink?) So I figure it'll be ok. Now how would I wrap the intake? airbox?

mine has barely smoked...and i wound up with like 20 feet of wrap left over, so i just wrapped the intake delivery pipe with that too...i guess it helps?

im about to go outside and take a couple pix...ill have them up in a few

screamingreen97
16-07-07, 07:06 PM
here they are

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/togish1/IMG_1403.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/togish1/IMG_1402.jpg

John Z Williams
16-07-07, 11:52 PM
Looks good there, I am a big fan of wrap and ic piping wrap. I removed my insulation under the hood too, it all helps to keep under hood temps down. I actually added back the stock 9-3 heat shield over my large turbo and that helps too... It all adds up...

John

Corn Cob
17-07-07, 12:55 AM
I have read in the past(I believe in the C900 forum, maybe somewhere else) that doing this was a big no-no! The reason being that the extra heat causes the metal to oxidize prematurly, and your expensive exhaust bits rot from the inside out. Is this false? I would love to do this but if my sweet downpipe is going to disentagrate I'm out man.

fromero
17-07-07, 05:19 AM
Soooo,

is it possible to wrap the catalyser??

John Z Williams
17-07-07, 11:12 AM
I have read in the past(I believe in the C900 forum, maybe somewhere else) that doing this was a big no-no! The reason being that the extra heat causes the metal to oxidize prematurly, and your expensive exhaust bits rot from the inside out. Is this false? I would love to do this but if my sweet downpipe is going to disentagrate I'm out man.

Maybe if you had a mild steel header or something, but the strong cast iron ones we have are very strong! I have been running header wrap for almost 3 years now and its still going strong!

John

Saabohème
17-07-07, 12:02 PM
Maybe if you had a mild steel header or something, but the strong cast iron ones we have are very strong! I have been running header wrap for almost 3 years now and its still going strong!

JohnConcur. The cast iron manifold is a beast. It will take more time than you have on earth for it to oxidize into elemental form. If your DP is SS, then it will not corrode away - the only possible drawback is if the welds are substandard, the additional heat from the wrap could overstress them.

Corn Cob
17-07-07, 01:15 PM
Ok I will give it a go. The exhaust manafold I wasn't worried about, like you guys said it is super heavy duty thick metal. I was just worried about the downpipe, but I guess it would be ok since I have the GSv2.

Saabohème
17-07-07, 01:50 PM
Ok I will give it a go. The exhaust manafold I wasn't worried about, like you guys said it is super heavy duty thick metal. I was just worried about the downpipe, but I guess it would be ok since I have the GSv2.I would bet on the GS also - maybe Nick will weigh in here and put all doubt to rest. Corn Cob, how's come you have not responded to our Events post (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103075&page=1&pp=20) for this weekend in Findley SP?

hunt.dogshome
17-07-07, 03:03 PM
I did my 3" D.P. about 2 months ago. I didn't notice any difference in performance? You can put your finger on the outside of the wrap after a run fairly safely- so it's definitely working.

I went from the 3-bolt turbo connection down to the flex pipe just in front of the cat.

Must do my intake line and try that.

Saabohème
17-07-07, 03:14 PM
Trapping the heat in the exhaust provides two separate and distinct sources for potential performance gains:
1) Keeping the heat out of the bay where it can raise the temps of the intake charge as it moves along to the intake ports, and
2) Heat is energy and focusing the heat in the exhaust helps provide additional energy to keep the exhaust gases moving out and away from the exhaust ports. This translates into increased exhaust velocity which provides better exhaust scavenging AND decreased spool up times.

fromero
17-07-07, 04:11 PM
So, anybody knows if wrapping the cat is safe? :roll:
Heat isolation from the oil pan can just be good to prevent oil cooking and sludge...

Any ideas??

Thanks

NahumCC
17-07-07, 05:15 PM
So, anybody knows if wrapping the cat is safe? :roll:
Heat isolation from the oil pan can just be good to prevent oil cooking and sludge...

Any ideas??

Thanks

If your cat gets to hot it melts so very bad idea to add wrap around the cat. Imagine what would happen if in tuning that have EGT's that are to high. If you want to avoid the cat under the oil pan order a downpipe from Nick at GS. It sits behind the oil pan.

fromero
17-07-07, 08:05 PM
You see, the exhaust I've got (3" JT) also sits (apparently) behind the oil pan, but in fact the raised part of the oil pan is just on top of the cat.
I know it produces oil cooking, as I have dropped the oil pan to clean up sludge and oil cooked into the oil pan. (We all know the main Saab problem is that it uses too little oil, instead of 6 litres it uses 4)

Another idea would be to isolate through installation of a metal heat shield so as to divert part of the heat that radiates to the oil pan.

just a thought... :cheesy:

NahumCC
17-07-07, 08:09 PM
You see, the exhaust I've got (3" JT) also sits (apparently) behind the oil pan, but in fact the raised part of the oil pan is just on top of the cat.
I know it produces oil cooking, as I have dropped the oil pan to clean up sludge and oil cooked into the oil pan. (We all know the main Saab problem is that it uses too little oil, instead of 6 litres it uses 4)

Another idea would be to isolate through installation of a metal heat shield so as to divert part of the heat that radiates to the oil pan.

just a thought... :cheesy:

Your post makes no sense as you say the cat sits behind the oil pan but the cat sits under the raised section which the exhaust is meant to pass through. Sure.

Anyways if you want to do something then the metal heat shield is the way to go as it will allow heat to radiate from the cat itself but the shield will direct that heat elsewhere which will prevent the cat getting heat soaked and damaging itself. Heat wrap will retain the heat inside the cat because its in direct contact which is why I suggested avoiding that route.

fromero
18-07-07, 11:18 AM
MMMHHH ...

yeah, you're right, its under not behind...(it was late and sleepy)
I have to design some kind of a heat shield and see hot to attach it to the cat or somewhere, as space is sparse....

Saabohème
18-07-07, 11:47 AM
Thermotec makes a reflective and insulating self-adhesive heat shield mat that you may be able to simply stick to the underside of the oil pan. It is thin enough to fit in there and not rub on the cat and it should be able to handle the heat. Type Thermo-tec into your search engine and check it out.
You will of course want to thoroughly clean the underside of your oil pan first, using a good grease cutting solvent.

Corn Cob
21-07-07, 04:05 AM
OK guys I rapped the manifold and the DP tonight. One 50 ft. by one inch roll gives you about six inches to spare. Not sure how it performs though, I didn't get off work untill one AM and it took me two hours to put it on. I can tell you that I got the kind with copper impregnated into it and now there are metal flecks everywhere, and I started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes and that stuff smokes like a son of a b*tch. Hopfully the smokyness is short lived. I will report in the next fue days about its effectiveness.

9-3sleeper
21-07-07, 05:14 PM
the packaging said it lets the moisture out...so i think i got a pretty expensive one lol...name brand...i saw others for like 10 bux, and i was like, nah, ill spend the xtra for the name brand

brand is called: Thermo-tec

I have thermo tec wrap, but I never put it on, Nick said he wont stand begind the DP anymore if I put the stuff on, so it's just sitting in my garage, how far down did you wrap to?
I also put a turbo wrap on, but the thing didn't seem to make much of a difference, I get more of a response with a $10 bottle of octane booster.

9-3sleeper
21-07-07, 05:19 PM
OK guys I rapped the manifold and the DP tonight. One 50 ft. by one inch roll gives you about six inches to spare. Not sure how it performs though, I didn't get off work untill one AM and it took me two hours to put it on. I can tell you that I got the kind with copper impregnated into it and now there are metal flecks everywhere, and I started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes and that stuff smokes like a son of a b*tch. Hopfully the smokyness is short lived. I will report in the next fue days about its effectiveness.

The smoking will eventually stop, the same thing happened with my turbo bag, the stuff smells like azz, and it was putting out so much, I was affraid some was gonna get pulled into my intake, Just let it idle with the hood up for 15 min, then take a short agressive drive, and sit some more. I think what happens is that you actually build up a thin layer of charred wrap on the inside portion, I also think there may be some type of oily substance impregnated in the wrap that gets burned too. After a few days the smell, and the smoke will go away.

9-3sleeper
21-07-07, 05:24 PM
Thermotec makes a reflective and insulating self-adhesive heat shield mat that you may be able to simply stick to the underside of the oil pan. It is thin enough to fit in there and not rub on the cat and it should be able to handle the heat. Type Thermo-tec into your search engine and check it out.
You will of course want to thoroughly clean the underside of your oil pan first, using a good grease cutting solvent.

I like this idea, I may try doing this, as for the cat though, the Taliaferro 3" DP and race cat design has a heat sheild built right onto the cat... lets hear it for quality engineering! :cheesy:

Corn Cob
22-07-07, 02:23 AM
Well my underhood temps seem to be down a great deal! Don't really know if it goes any faster, but the lower temps can't be bad. After a good long spirited drive this evening I could hold my hand two inches from the manifold and it was warm but not hot. Befor when I opened the hood it was very hot, befor my hand being (guessing) 8 or 10 inches from the manifold would have felt similar heat.

9-3sleeper
22-07-07, 10:59 PM
Did you wrap the entire exhaust or just the from the down pipe and back?

Corn Cob
22-07-07, 11:33 PM
I did the manifold, and also the downpipe. I did the downpipe to the flex joint. The downpipe doesn't take that long, but the manifold takes a long time to make it look good. You can't cut the stuff because you don't know much you will need, so you have to pass the whole 50 feet through each time you make a loop. Like I said befor the whole job took about two hours.

9-3sleeper
22-07-07, 11:38 PM
Did you remove your manifold or leave it on the whole time?

Corn Cob
22-07-07, 11:44 PM
It was on the whole time. Not much room to work with, but I was abile to cover it all.

9-3sleeper
23-07-07, 07:36 PM
See, when I first bought my wrap, I was going to take the manifold off because I bought a special type of paint that was meant to go over the wrap to protect it, and to help insulate even more, but half way through it, I realized that taking out the maniflod was a far bigger job than I had expected, so as embarasing as it is to admit, I quit for the night and never had the drive to get back into it. I just didn't feel like completely dropping my turbo, and I couldn't find any other way of getting it out. Has anyone removed the exhaust manifold from a 2002 9-3 SE with the tdo4 turbo??? If so, I could use a tip or two since corn cob has re-animated the spark in me that wishes to wrap my exhaust.Thanks in advance.

Corn Cob
24-07-07, 01:41 AM
I had to turn in my anticapater more. I was hitting fuel cut again. Not on every pull but every now and again. Not sure if I somehow moved it wile fiddling around with things or if it was caused by the wrap. I am not sure if this even makes sense. Can someone explain please.