No life [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: No life

Sparky
20th May 2003, 06:48 AM
Can't get my 99GL started and can't work out why. There's plenty of spark and fuel is reaching the carb. It's turning over fine but isn't anywhere near catching. Plugs are fine too. Could it be a carb problem though.. fuel not getting though once it reaches the carb? Or contaminated fuel? It was being driven in torrentiual rain when it gradually conked out yesterday..any ideas?

heavy_t
20th May 2003, 07:16 AM
Hmmm, couldn't be a soaked distributor could it? I'm not too hot on this kind of stuff. Mine was really struggling in the rain yesterday. Looks like we're into the monsoon season :roll:

TFatC
20th May 2003, 07:29 AM
Sounds like water somewhere to me, but would suggest the following to prove the petrol side first. Turn it over for a while with a hand over the air cleaner inlet (or a rag if you are on your own) for a few seconds. Whip out a plug, if it is wet, petrol is getting through. As Heavy suggested, take off the distributor cap, hair dryer (or gently with a hot air gun) inside the cap, the dizzy base plate etc and reassemble. Check connections to coil etc, a good going over with WD40 or similar, dry the plugs after test 1 and try again.

If all else fails, leave it for a while to get air around it and try again. Had a similar problem with the Fjord in the snow, left it in the workshop with the bonnet up for an hour and it has been fine ever since.

Hope this helps, if not, send it out to the boat I am on and I will have a look for you :cheesy:

Sparky
20th May 2003, 08:01 AM
Cheers guys, I'm no expert either so the helps appreciated. The dizzy was my first port of call too (just to keep the seafaring theme going TfatC). Seemed fine and I gave it a good dosing of WD for good measure. I found the plugs to be sparking anyway so I'm assuming it's not electrical. Is that correct?
I'll try your trick with the fueling Tfat and good shout with leaving it out to dry for a while, we need a bit of sun for that though!!

TFatC
20th May 2003, 09:51 AM
Hmmm, if the plugs are sparking, it is unlikely to be electrical. To prove whether it is fuel (and should have thought of this sooner), take off the air filter. If you have any easy start, give it a good sniff of that and immediately give it a try. If none available, poor a drop (about a tablespoon) of petrol straight into the inlet and give it a try. If it starts, it is fuel starvation that is your problem. If it does start, run for a while and die, as for fuel starvation, try it a few times. If there is a blockage, it just might cure itself when you start with a fair bit of throttle and a dose of petrol, have known this to work several times in the past. Good luck - and by the way, nice and calm and sunny today here, which is a d@mn site better than the 55 knots of wind and 11m seas we had 48 hours ago (That is 60 mph and 36 foot approx for you fellow luddites!) :o :o

Sparky
20th May 2003, 10:32 AM
Cheers Tfat, your description of the sea has got me reaching for the cocoa straight away!!!

garry
22nd May 2003, 01:26 PM
try turning it over with the petrol cap off.