The New Saab 9-3's [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: The New Saab 9-3's

Confused_Chimp
12th July 2007, 02:40 AM
I've been looking at buying a relatively old 93 (1998-2002) recently, but when comparing it to the newer 93 (2002-2007), it seems that the newer cars arn't built as well and are using cheaper materials. But the other bug I have with them is that they have made them less powerful.
Now they are releasing a new 93 again. How does it stack up against the previous two? Is it made as well as the first 93? Is the new one more powerful again??
Being very new to saab I'm not sure I'm the best judge, but I really like the first 93 series, but the later ones I'm not so keen on. They are loosing their appeal to me.

At the moment I can only really afford a old 93 2.0T, but want a 2.0HOT. Only thing is in a couple of years time when I can afford them, there won't be any around in decent condition with lowish mileage. And I'm not sure if I will want one of the newer versions. Which doesn't leave many good options. :cry:

SaabScott
12th July 2007, 08:50 AM
The current 9-3s are the best Saab has built.

The question of materials is subjective.
I have found the quality of materials and build to be at least as good as previous generations.
Overall the cars are a huge improvement over the hatch style (from an engineering and safety and road holding perspective).

But they are different ... that is something no one but yourself can judge for you.

mfong
12th July 2007, 09:32 AM
In my opinion, the new Saab 9-3s are better than the older versions. To me, they look more solid, faster physically. I don't know how they handle, but I'm sure they are fast.

They have multiple displays inside, which are pretty neat, and did you know that they have a number pad, so they can dial from their phone? I was looking at threads to see how would one install a bluetooth system.

However, everyone has different taste.

~Mike

DavidMorgan
12th July 2007, 09:40 AM
The pre 2003 9-3s were far more solid bodywise. They had real bumpers not pretty plastic.

I had a Ford Mondeo run into my back-side:o ..
He had to replace grill radiator and more.
I couldn't find a scratch on the paint.:lol:

CL65Pilot
12th July 2007, 10:13 AM
I think you will find that a lot of the design/engineering in the newer models cater to safety and weight. Crash science is still evolving today and front/rear zones of the car are designed to crumple with the pax compartment remaining rigid. The biggest seller for me was the side and curtain airbags... I wouldn't leave home without 'em!

Saba
12th July 2007, 10:21 AM
The new 08 9-3 is fundamentally the same as the 03-07 9-3 with some not insignificant cosmetic changes in all variants, increase power in the Aero models and XWD in the top of the range Aero. The quality and reliability has steadily improved in recent years. Having said that, my 2003 9-3 has been great and I have had no issues that have caused me concern. Its a blast to drive.

snowboardin58
12th July 2007, 01:26 PM
I definitely like the build quality and quality of materials better in the pre 2003 cars

sethsev7n
12th July 2007, 02:27 PM
I also think the build quality and materials used in the interior of the og 9-3 are superior. However, the handling compared to the 9-3SS and 9-5 is just atrocious. You have to put poly bushings, sway bars, clamps, and firmer shocks on it to make it even bareable.

SaabScott
12th July 2007, 02:35 PM
The new 08 9-3 is fundamentally the same as the 03-07 9-3 with some not insignificant cosmetic changes in all variants, increase power in the Aero models and XWD in the top of the range Aero. The quality and reliability has steadily improved in recent years. Having said that, my 2003 9-3 has been great and I have had no issues that have caused me concern. Its a blast to drive.

I'm not sure I would agree 100% with that statement ...
Given that the 9-3 chassis was "incompatible" with AWD a couple of years ago, I would think there were some significant changes to the chassis to accomodate that.

Having said that, I agree 100% that the current chassis is a blast to drive! :cool: