Headlining - four door [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Headlining - four door

heavy_t
19th May 2003, 06:28 AM
As some of you may have noticed on Saturday - my headlining is an utter disgrace :oops: I was thinking of taking it out and having a go at it. has anyone ever tried to get it out of a four door without taking out the back window?

I though maybe if I took out all the seats first (and possibly the gearstick) it could be persuaded.......

tom
19th May 2003, 06:56 AM
When you tilt down the back seat, the hole to the boot is too small to get the headlining out. You have to take out the rear window or the windshield.

-tom-

heavy_t
19th May 2003, 07:20 AM
I thought it might come out of the rear door hole if I took all the seats out so I had room to manoeuvre. not sure I want to try and take the back window out - I'd probably mess it up.

dougsaab
19th May 2003, 07:46 AM
Tom, don't you have a manual? The 75-80 big orange book details how to remove the headliner in a 4-door. If I remember correctly(I can scan the page when I get home) you remove the front seats, gear shifter, and steering wheel....supposedly it will come out the driver front door with the proper manuevering.

heavy_t
19th May 2003, 07:48 AM
Thanks Doug - I've only got the Haynes manual, which doesn't go into much detail about that kind of thing.

nutcase
19th May 2003, 08:04 AM
I think I'm glad to have a 3 door! The headlining's going to have to be done at some point...

kemosaabey
19th May 2003, 11:27 AM
the c-pillar panels on mine are OK.

But the headlining, well...the cloth had gone so I ended up scraping/hoovering off the old foam until left with the yellow fibreboard underneath, the look is fairly acceptable.

Then maybe you could paint some cream emulsion over it...(well perhaps not... :wink: )

Munki
19th May 2003, 11:36 AM
Then maybe you could paint some cream emulsion over it...(well perhaps not... :wink: )
Nah, You wanna Artex it, put a nice Georgian Ceiling Rose in the centre and a bit of coving round the edges...Sorted :cheesy:

I'll just find my jacket and then I'll be off :oops:

nutcase
19th May 2003, 12:24 PM
Then all you need to do is replace the roof light with a chandalier :cheesy:

I left me coat at home, so I'm just gonna leg it into teh rain...

dougsaab
19th May 2003, 08:23 PM
Tom> this is what I found in my manual.

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/Dougstuff/headliner_4_door

I see the passenger seat doesn't have to come out and they only give install directions.

Rob Sandey
20th May 2003, 12:24 AM
Hi dougsaab, that is a great link, I wonder if you could post the page that dealt with removal of the 2 door healing as well. It would be very useful for me.
Thanks Rob

heavy_t
20th May 2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks Doug. That's really useful. :D Although I'm tempted by a nice bit of oak beam with some hanging horse brasses and miniature jugs :roll:

partsforsaabs.com have got a headlining repair kit for about fifty notes so I might have a look at this when the weather improves.....

dougsaab
20th May 2003, 06:27 AM
Hey Rob,

I'm just getting ready to leave to go to work. Maybe afterwards I'll scan and post the 2 door stuff for you.

Sparky
20th May 2003, 11:00 AM
Sorry guys, forgot about this. Karl at the ever handy 99tips page has a section on headlinings too...

http://uk.geocities.com/saab99tips/FrmSet/FrmSet.htm

nutcase
20th May 2003, 01:38 PM
Hey Rob,

I'm just getting ready to leave to go to work. Maybe afterwards I'll scan and post the 2 door stuff for you.

Is there anything for 3 door cars? I know its easier cos it can come out the bootlid, but some proper instructions would be nice :)

dougsaab
20th May 2003, 04:06 PM
Rob, here are the first two pages...the link I posted earlier is the third page of the procedure....Karl's 99 tips pages are also real good.

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/Dougstuff/99_headlining1

http://saabpics.nailed.org:3000/albums/Dougstuff/99_headlining2

Rob Sandey
20th May 2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks Dougsaab, much appreciated.
Cheers Rob