Bent Rim or Bad Wheel Bearing? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Bent Rim or Bad Wheel Bearing?

MaseratiMike
7th July 2007, 05:39 AM
I need some advice. I took my 93 to get an alignminet a few months back and they informed me I have a bent rim. I hit a really nasty construction "repair" a few months back that could have caused this bent rim. (I have the stock 93 SE rims). Here is my query. I have a very noticable rumble at speeds above 20 mph. I would accept their diagnosis of a bent rim except for the fact that when ever im in a right hand turn the rumbling gets much worse. Straight and level (sorry for the avation term)there is a rumble but not much. worse on an on ramp during a right it gets much worse. if I take an off ramp to the left, the rumbling goes away, same to be said with pretty much any hard left where the weight of the car is off the left side of the car. I have rotated my tires and still the same thing...hard right turns ..a rumbling noise.... think its a bad wheel bearing or just a bent rim? Im leaning towards a bearing bc I have heard a slight rumbling since I got the car. (there is a nice fast right corner to my house that I heard the same rumbling right when I got the car 2 years ago) It has only gotten worse since I moved to North Dakota. Any adivice would be much appreciated. Im thinking of either replacing the bearing (if thats the fault) or buying aftermarket rims. What do ya'll think? Thanks for your time

hkayssi
7th July 2007, 06:37 AM
I need some advice. I took my 93 to get an alignminet a few months back and they informed me I have a bent rim. I hit a really nasty construction "repair" a few months back that could have caused this bent rim. (I have the stock 93 SE rims). Here is my query. I have a very noticable rumble at speeds above 20 mph. I would accept their diagnosis of a bent rim except for the fact that when ever im in a right hand turn the rumbling gets much worse. Straight and level (sorry for the avation term)there is a rumble but not much. worse on an on ramp during a right it gets much worse. if I take an off ramp to the left, the rumbling goes away, same to be said with pretty much any hard left where the weight of the car is off the left side of the car. I have rotated my tires and still the same thing...hard right turns ..a rumbling noise.... think its a bad wheel bearing or just a bent rim? Im leaning towards a bearing bc I have heard a slight rumbling since I got the car. (there is a nice fast right corner to my house that I heard the same rumbling right when I got the car 2 years ago) It has only gotten worse since I moved to North Dakota. Any adivice would be much appreciated. Im thinking of either replacing the bearing (if thats the fault) or buying aftermarket rims. What do ya'll think? Thanks for your time

You may have both a bent wheel and a bad wheel bearing.

To diagnose if a wheel is bent just take it off and do a wheel alignment. If it's bent it'll show big time.

earthworm
7th July 2007, 11:01 AM
I , of course, agree with Hkayssi.

The bent wheel will shake and shimmy, not directly rumble and roar as will a bad wheel bearing.

IMO, both defects should be discovered by the alignment place, if they do an inspection on front end components as well as the alignment...
And what good is an alignment unless the front (and rear) are in good shape...
Loose wheel bearings (the old tapered ones) will cause problems, but noisy FWD (front wheel drive) bearings will not, at least until they totally disintegrate.

BTW, Mike, did you divulge the information to the alignment shop as to the bearing rumble and the pothole ramming ??

MaseratiMike
7th July 2007, 03:30 PM
When I took it to get a balance, they told me "your left front rim is bent, but we got it to balance, we'll put it on the rear so you won't feel it as much". Now I took it into the alignment place in the first place becuase there was this odd who car shake/shimmy when acclerating through 30 mph up to around 45 mph. It would get worse the harder you accleratied. So I imagined it was a tire out of balance. After they told me I had a bent rim I told them about the unmarked "repair" in the road that I imagine bent the rim. Oddly enough the guy said he knows exactly what im talking about and about 5 other people came in with bent rims the day they worked on that road. So after the balance things were fine. no shake/shimmy acclerating. But now this noise is getting progessively worse. there is no wheel or body shake when hearing it. I have been noticing though, it feels like my car will be "bouncing" (best word i can think of to describe it) every now and then, esp with people in my car. It acts like it is driving on out of round wheels, ovals if you will. perhaps it just my imagination making things worse who knows. I want to drive to Minneapolis for a concert at the end of this month, and I want to have this problem rectified before I end up breaking down in the middle of nowhere in a town with more tractors than automobiles. If I had to put money on it, the major culprit would be a bearing. Anybody have any experiance replacing them? would I need a press or can I just take the ol ******* out and slap in a new one sharpish?

hkayssi
7th July 2007, 03:56 PM
When I took it to get a balance, they told me "your left front rim is bent, but we got it to balance, we'll put it on the rear so you won't feel it as much". Now I took it into the alignment place in the first place becuase there was this odd who car shake/shimmy when acclerating through 30 mph up to around 45 mph. It would get worse the harder you accleratied. So I imagined it was a tire out of balance. After they told me I had a bent rim I told them about the unmarked "repair" in the road that I imagine bent the rim. Oddly enough the guy said he knows exactly what im talking about and about 5 other people came in with bent rims the day they worked on that road. So after the balance things were fine. no shake/shimmy acclerating. But now this noise is getting progessively worse. there is no wheel or body shake when hearing it. I have been noticing though, it feels like my car will be "bouncing" (best word i can think of to describe it) every now and then, esp with people in my car. It acts like it is driving on out of round wheels, ovals if you will. perhaps it just my imagination making things worse who knows. I want to drive to Minneapolis for a concert at the end of this month, and I want to have this problem rectified before I end up breaking down in the middle of nowhere in a town with more tractors than automobiles. If I had to put money on it, the major culprit would be a bearing. Anybody have any experiance replacing them? would I need a press or can I just take the ol ******* out and slap in a new one sharpish?

Front disks warped and probably worn pads on the right side then. It may be a worn wheel bearing but I suspect the rotors. I had that problem with my old Oldsmobile I know what you're talking about.

rotate
7th July 2007, 04:01 PM
Bent wheel is a problem which balancing won't solve. Most guys who balance the tires won't even realize that the rim is bent.

When you're balancing the tire, you're just making sure that the mass is evenly distributed about the hub. It does nothing about whether the contact patch with the road will remain constant during the rotation of the wheel. You can have a perfectly balanced wheel that's not even remotely radially or axially symmetrical. Useing the road force balance will definitely pick this up, but again, no amount of balancing will completely compensate for the bent rim.

The only real solution is to replace the rim.

MaseratiMike
7th July 2007, 07:03 PM
I don't understand how rotors and brake pad are causing the noise. I am never under braking when the noise happens. The noise is constant, all the time. and The noise gets worse in a right turn, when all the force of turning is on the left side of the car. when I turn to the left, the noise COMPLETELY goes away...when all the weight is off the left side of the car. that is the only time the noise goes away. Its there when straight and level, but not as loud as in a right turn. I am willing to go ahead and replace the rim....I wish the stock rims weren't so damn expensive. Id just like to nail down the problem of wheel bearing or rim before purchasing one or the other

hkayssi
7th July 2007, 07:19 PM
I don't understand how rotors and brake pad are causing the noise. I am never under braking when the noise happens. The noise is constant, all the time. and The noise gets worse in a right turn, when all the force of turning is on the left side of the car. when I turn to the left, the noise COMPLETELY goes away...when all the weight is off the left side of the car. that is the only time the noise goes away. Its there when straight and level, but not as loud as in a right turn. I am willing to go ahead and replace the rim....I wish the stock rims weren't so damn expensive. Id just like to nail down the problem of wheel bearing or rim before purchasing one or the other

Before buying a wheel take off one of the back wheels and put the spare in its place to see if the noise is still there. No point paying $200 if it's not the reason of your problems ;)

The reason I said the rotors and pads is because I hade a similar problem and that was the cause.

If the rotors are warped the wheel turns and with each turn the warped disk touches the pads on the warped areas. Also if the pads on one side are a bit too worn, the metal would touch more on the disk in hard turns causing more noise (due to the weight pushing on the wheel and rotor)

earthworm
7th July 2007, 07:25 PM
To me, this is "classic" wheel bearing noise. The only noise any rotor could make would be due to excessive looseness or a scraping against a pad or a plate....easy to diagnose..

To prove it, this MAY work.
Jack her up, and run the engine in gear, then shut her down, disembark and listen.
Your method, Mike ,is the same as the one we use to test for bad REAR bearings.. Worn fronts were very rare..Saab used a large $10 bearing, this would be $100 today.... The old front ends were strong and durable, but the CVs gave trouble.

MaseratiMike
7th July 2007, 08:30 PM
hkayssi, I had that exact same idea. I think I'll try that tomorrow if its cool out. Jim, also very good idea. I really appreciate the input. I looked at advance autoparts or something and they said front wheel bearings are around 65 dollars. So Jim, are you suggesting that perhaps its a rear wheel bearing going bad then instead of a front? Now if anyone knows how to remove gelcoat from leather seats I'd be all set..;oops: