1984 8v LPT project [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 1984 8v LPT project

sebch
4th July 2007, 08:00 AM
Hi,

I'm now officially making plans for my N/A 900 as it's passed the safety test and I can freely start to mod it.

The car is an 8v 85 MY, is K-jetted and has nothing special about it (except it's MY Saab :cheesy: ). It is and will stay a daily driver, so it should be as reliable and economical as possible.

I'd like to follow two routes:
1) get rid of the K-jet and install a megasquirt unit (as megasquirt rulzzzz!)
2) get a turbo in the car to get the growl back (I grew up in 900 turbos...) and beef up the performance a bit, keeping in mind the "daily driver" limits I set above.

Easy, you'll say: get this old 8v out and and drop a later more powerful engine in! Sure guys, but I tend to think the FPT is not really my cup of tea, having LOVED the low RPM boost on my mum's '93 LPT. Plus, from what I read here and there, the boost of FPT is coming a bit too high in the revs for my taste (and my town is really hilly :roll: )

Also, I like the simplicity of the 8v design, the room available w/o the big head and the fact that it's got more "saab history" in its gut (that's pure personal weltanschauung :D )

So, I'd like to keep it 8v, I'd like to make it turbo, and I'd like it to be an low boost one.

What do you think of the idea?
What CR would be best for my plans: should I keep the block in with it's 9,5:1 and use a slightly lower boost use an 8v turbo block at 8,5:1?
Which cam would be best used in this mixture?
Is APC a good solution to deal with the boost/CR issues?
Which problems will I run into?

Any idea, experience, feedback will be highly appreciated.

Pics will hopefully come soon! Thanks, Seb

saabismi
4th July 2007, 08:23 AM
Looks like this is gouing to be a cool project!

Good Luck;)

Saab-Daniel
4th July 2007, 08:27 AM
Hi, and welcome, very nice to have another T8'er on the forums :)
Have a look in my project thread for a bit of inspiration on MS'ing an T8...
Daniel.

sebch
4th July 2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks folks!

--> Daniel, we've been in contact already! You sent me a few pics of your manifold a few weeks ago. Starting to mod mine soon!

Cheers, Seb

Saab-Daniel
4th July 2007, 09:09 AM
Ahh, that we have ;)
Well, good luck with it, ask if you need help...
Daniel.