Rack brace = Refinement [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Rack brace = Refinement

jmorgan456
03-07-07, 05:09 AM
Fitted the GS Steering rack brace today. Just a quick drive. Wow...

There is a noticeable improvement. It is not radical - however the steering is much more refined.

Early returns - I would definitely recommend.

9-3sleeper
04-07-07, 01:28 AM
I'm planning on buy it pretty soon, how easy was the install?

ragtopcav
04-07-07, 02:25 AM
how easy was the install?
How long's a piece of string? I have PFS clamps and brace on my 900's; one went on in minutes the other was a total **** to fit and took at least an hour. The one that was a chore though has suspect new pieces on its nose and implies a shunt in the past - minor deformation?

Good overall value upgrade - handy if you want a power hike in the future.

9-3sleeper
04-07-07, 05:16 PM
I guess you have a pretty valid point there, the ease of the job usually depends on whether or not the car wants to cooperate that day. I guess what I should have asked is, given that everything went smoothly (which Murphy's law usually doesn't permit), how long and difficult is the install? But I guerss you kinda answered tht already Raggy.

jmorgan456
04-07-07, 09:24 PM
It was pretty easy. Once you get the back piece behind the rack it is simple as pie. I used a large screwdriver to pull the rack away from the firewall slightly. Be certain you are on solid metal and be gentle. I assume it is fairly robust but the possibility of damage made me cautious.

Remeber the bigger hole goes on the bottom. OOPS. Made the job harder for myself. Other than that, beginning to end about half hour.

It has now been in since sunday - what a difference. My wife noticed just moving the car in the driveway.

Did the rear ARB today - also a 30 minute job if you can get the bolts off - I have an impact wrench - it made easy work of it.

9-3sleeper
04-07-07, 10:32 PM
I'll be putting both of those on after I install the stg. 4 Nordic software, I already have lowering springs, and I loved how that made the car feel, but what do the rack brace and the ARB feel like when you really push the car as opposed to before you had them?

Corn Cob
04-07-07, 11:17 PM
The rack brace keeps the wheel from flying out of your hands! I found the stock torque steer untolerable so it was my first upgrade. The sway bar is nice too, but it alone doesn't stiffen the car up as much as I wanted. I will be getting lower springs and good shocks as soon as I have money!

Adrian W
05-07-07, 05:18 AM
I'll be putting both of those on after I install the stg. 4 Nordic software, I already have lowering springs, and I loved how that made the car feel, but what do the rack brace and the ARB feel like when you really push the car as opposed to before you had them?

I did the clamp, brace and rear swaybar on the Viggen and the difference in how it drives is pretty dramatic, though not when going in a straight line.

When going slowly around a corner, there's just a little less body roll, and a lot more precise feeling.

When going quickly, there's almost no torque steer, the car is MUCH more neutral, and the speed through twisty sections of canyon road can easily increase by 10 mph without decreasing the safety factor of being able to avoid sudden obstacles.

jk88
05-07-07, 05:09 PM
installed my GS rack brace and ARB this morning. it's a christmas miracle. the car feels like it should have all along. torque steer was lessened 85-90% and the car feels much better at all speeds. i'm loving the high speed bends so much more now.

Adrian W
05-07-07, 10:08 PM
One note of advice. Find a parking lot and practice braking hard while turning hard, as if you were avoiding an obstacle, after installing the rear sway bar. Sometimes, though rarely, the back end will come around a little.

My 1992 C900 used to do the same thing, and it handled very similarly to how the Viggen handles now, albeit with slightly less overal grip from slightly narrower tires. (that particular C900 was very tail happy on the brakes, but you could drift that thing, if you knew what you were doing, even under a little power, and no one believed me ... until I demonstrated)

9-3sleeper
06-07-07, 04:29 PM
I did the clamp, brace and rear swaybar on the Viggen and the difference in how it drives is pretty dramatic, though not when going in a straight line.

When going slowly around a corner, there's just a little less body roll, and a lot more precise feeling.

When going quickly, there's almost no torque steer, the car is MUCH more neutral, and the speed through twisty sections of canyon road can easily increase by 10 mph without decreasing the safety factor of being able to avoid sudden obstacles.
Now thats the kind of stuff I like to read, I'm looking forward to those parts so much, I bet they'll complement the stg. 4 Nordic software Im installing soon very nicely :cool: