How long will a saab engine last? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How long will a saab engine last?

Confused_Chimp
25th June 2007, 09:20 PM
Ok I know its a very general question, want to get an idea of what they can take.

But how many miles would you expect a saab engine to crunch before the engine or car died?

Petrol
The minimum you would expect the engine to get through?

The average you would expect the engine to get through?

The most you would expect the engine to get through?

Deisel

Cheers
CC

jefspg
25th June 2007, 10:35 PM
My 1986 C900 lasted 270,000 miles and 18 years (all New England winters). The only reason I took it off of the road was because of rust problems. If my 2001 Aero doesn't last longer, I will be extremely dissappointed. Everything about the 9-5 is better including anti-rust coatings.

Petrol
150,000 miles

200,000 miles

400,000 miles

tmg19103
25th June 2007, 10:48 PM
CC -

With all due respect - you need to chill ;) Buying a used car is always an imperfect science. Saab's have middle-of-the road reliability IMHO. Not great, but not terrible. All the info is available on this board to make a smart buy so you get a Saab with better than average reliability by doing your due diligence from info on this board and by thoroughly inspecting your potential vehicle, including maintenance history. You can then up the reliability by following certain posted manners of preventative maintenance.

That being said, if you want a better reliability reputation and cheaper parts, get a used Honda Civic. A Saab 9-5 is a luxury European car, and that comes with a price tag. For as little as you want to spend, you are going to be getting a high mile Saab that will at the very least require replacement of some wear and tear items. However, that will be the case with any high mile used car.

If you do your homework on a high mileage Saab, you should get a vehicle that will need some repairs along the way, but idealy nothing major. Want more security short term - get a new Saturn under warranty (you can also buy an extended warranty on a used Saab).

As for your question on engine life, what do you mean? Various parts on an engine can go and cause engine failure. There is a poll on how long turbos last going on right now, but what does that tell you? Some people had their turbos go at certain intervals - but how about the huge percentage of readers of this board (like me) who did not participate in the poll because their turbo never went?

Some people can tell you their engine died at 20k while others will say still going at 200k. I don't think you can really get a precise answer - especially since many who bother to post are those having problems while all the happy Saab owners out there never search out this board because their cars have no problems.;)

Good luck!

SaabScott
25th June 2007, 10:58 PM
For as little as you want to spend, you are going to be getting a high mile Saab that will at the very least require replacement of some wear and tear items. However, that will be the case with any high mile used car.

If you do your homework on a high mileage Saab, you should get a vehicle that will need some repairs along the way, but idealy nothing major.

especially since many who bother to post are those having problems while all the happy Saab owners out there never search out this board because their cars have no problems.;)

Good luck!

Well, I beg to differ ...

I've had 1 high mileage Saabs.
1996 900SET bought with 211,000 kms to 345,000 kms
1999 9-5 bought with 189,000 kms to (present) 255,000 kms.
No records on either car.
Regular things went on the NG900 (head gasket, fuel pump).

As for the 9-5 ... I've owned it for 15 months and put 60,000 kms (over 35,000 miles) on it and haven't done anything. Not even brakes (they are due).

You do take a chance with a high mileage car regardless of make ... treat it right and it will take care of you too.

Confused_Chimp
25th June 2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for your concern tmg1903, I'm fine chilled as I need to be I think :D, I'm just trying to do as much research as I can and just trying to get a feel for what I maybe letting myself in for. I know its not even close to an exact science. Test drove a 93 today and looked at a 95 as well and am now thinking I might prefer to get 93.

I'm trying to price up what its going to cost me and if I can afford it. A friend of mine is trying to talk me out of buying a saab, reason being I'm going to be going to uni for 2-3 years and won't have much money at all. Got a bit of savings, but don't really want to touch it if I don't have to. But I have to admit I have kinda fallen in love with saabs that more i look at them.
I'm not thinking of upping my budget to 6k and getting a 93 2.0HOT Aero. so now need to research that. LOL lots more trawling through posts. But I'm learning a lot and I'm enjoying it as well. Quite excited about possibly buying a 93.

My friend is trying to get me to consider a Seat Leon mainly, or possibly Skoda Octavia, which maybe a more sensible option while I'm at uni. But I can't say they do as much for me. But I'll wait till I've test driven them.
Cheers
CC :cheesy:

mike saunders
26th June 2007, 12:10 AM
All of your questions are dependent on the degree of maintenence diligence.

If it was previously owned by a cheap, neglectful moron, then the car might not last 100,000 miles.

If it was owned by an anal-retentive maintenence guru, then the engine might last "forever" if the same standard of care is applied.

In the real world, as long as you follow a religiously regular schedule of oil changes and other maintenence (PCV system upgrades, etc) -- and don't abuse the car -- then you and the car should grow old together.

tmg19103
26th June 2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I beg to differ ...

I've had 1 high mileage Saabs.
1996 900SET bought with 211,000 kms to 345,000 kms
1999 9-5 bought with 189,000 kms to (present) 255,000 kms.
No records on either car.
Regular things went on the NG900 (head gasket, fuel pump).

As for the 9-5 ... I've owned it for 15 months and put 60,000 kms (over 35,000 miles) on it and haven't done anything. Not even brakes (they are due).

You do take a chance with a high mileage car regardless of make ... treat it right and it will take care of you too.

Glad your cars have worked out so well! BUT, as you can see from posts on this board, others have not been so fortunate. Like I said, it is an inexact science and I wish CC the best in whatever decision he makes.

SectorNine50
26th June 2007, 02:17 AM
Some guy got over a million miles on his 900, original engine too. Got a free 9-5 for it from Saab. I'm almost to 100,000 miles on my 2000 9-5 Aero and am having no problems whatsoever. Pretty neat, still love the car too (only had it for 25-ish k).

Raven18940
26th June 2007, 07:21 AM
I drive my car pretty hard and it doesn't burn a drop of oil so I'm not expecting it to die any time soon. 96K and I'm thinking about turning up the boost. :cheesy:

i want an aero
26th June 2007, 09:39 AM
a few things to remember that don't scrimp on servicing, saabs need to be serviced to saab schedule. an oil and filter change is fine but al you will do is store up a big bill. the 9-3 aero is only 200bhp compaired to 230-250bhp for the 9-5. the back is cramped in the 9-3

honungsbi
26th June 2007, 10:27 AM
Ok I know its a very general question, want to get an idea of what they can take.

But how many miles would you expect a saab engine to crunch before the engine or car died?

Petrol

Deisel

Cheers
CC

don't take this too badly, but that question is a bit silly. ok so maybe the question itself isn't, but expecting a legit answer IS.

how about:

a cold night

12" concrete wall if driven fast enough.

12 gauge solid copper slug fired from 10 yards.

expect a little more for the diesel.

some times a person needs to "be for real" with their questions. ;)

Chris 9-5
26th June 2007, 01:03 PM
Test drove a 93 today and looked at a 95 as well and am now thinking I might prefer to get 93.CC :cheesy:

Great idea, and the 9-3 guys are really helpful too, why not pop in and ask them some questions, they are sure to help ;)

My friend is trying to get me to consider a Seat Leon mainly, or possibly Skoda Octavia, which maybe a more sensible option. CC :cheesy:

Thats a good friend, I like him, speaks sense too, I bet they have decent forums too, must be worth a google search ;)

mike saunders
26th June 2007, 01:24 PM
I drive my car pretty hard and it doesn't burn a drop of oil so I'm not expecting it to die any time soon. 96K and I'm thinking about turning up the boost. :cheesy:

It wouldn't need to burn oil to show signs of sludging damage; in fact, the only time you'd likely see any smoke was once the damage was so far gone you've lost a turbo....

I'd drop the pan to check for sludge and make sure you have the latest crank vent upgrades....

Raven18940
26th June 2007, 01:41 PM
It wouldn't need to burn oil to show signs of sludging damage; in fact, the only time you'd likely see any smoke was once the damage was so far gone you've lost a turbo....

I'd drop the pan to check for sludge and make sure you have the latest crank vent upgrades....
I have the record on SC for cleanest valvetrain. :cheesy: I have the latest PCV kit, I'm dropping the pan in a thousand miles and I'm looking into converting the B2X5 oil pump into a B2X4 pump. If that proves impossible or prohibitively expenisive, then I'll replace the standard pump before 100K. Trust me, my engine is well cared for. ;)

tmg19103
26th June 2007, 03:15 PM
I have the record on SC for cleanest valvetrain. :cheesy: I have the latest PCV kit, I'm dropping the pan in a thousand miles and I'm looking into converting the B2X5 oil pump into a B2X4 pump. If that proves impossible or prohibitively expenisive, then I'll replace the standard pump before 100K. Trust me, my engine is well cared for. ;)

CC - these are the ways you get your engine to last forever - by taking care and investing a little. That is why your question is so subjective. If you buy a used Saab with no service history, for instance, it MAY have had all scheduled mainentance, or it MAY have had the oil changed twice in 50,000 miles.

One thing I note about all the posters on this thread who list great lengevity from their Saab is that they all have a LOT of posts on this board - which means they are taking very good care of their cars and doing preventative work.

So, it's all variable. You could buy a well maintained Saab, but if you don't take care of it, the engine could go soon. Best bet is to have a full service history and do the preventative things such as PVC upgrade, full fluid/plug changes on purchase, full synthetic, changing fluids more often than required, etc.