2001 9-3 dilema, looking for some advice... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2001 9-3 dilema, looking for some advice...

Turbonium
13th June 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone,

So I'll make this brief:

I have an '01 9-3 with 122,000 miles and a leaking timing cover that needs repair. I was quoted between $1,400 and $2,000 to take the engine out and fix the problem and there may be more problems interally which ups the fee...

Now, do I pay for it and get maybe 30,000 miles out of it? Or trade it in, get SOME money for it and put it towards a newer 2004/5 9-3? I am afraid a dealer is going to reject the car or offer me like $2,000 for it which would be a total waste and I would instead just go on with the $2,000 fix.

Cheers in advance.

Joseph

Diosnoche
14th June 2007, 04:41 PM
Do they really need to remove the engine to perform this task? I think the job can be completed with the engine in place.

Turbonium
22nd June 2007, 10:38 AM
It sounds like it's more nasty than that. I have thought about dumping Saab all together. The GM Saabs ('03-Present) are not that impressive. I might seek an alternative route.

I am going to look at a '04 9-3 linear this weekend.

We'll see, vehicle shopping sucks.

Jos.

84Saab900TURBO
22nd June 2007, 10:44 AM
We'll see, vehicle shopping sucks.Here here!:lol: I would advise you to check out all local Saab shops, make sure you can't get it done cheaper (and still have a reputable shop do it). If not, go ahead with it anyway because you're not going to get much money out of it with such a huge thing broken.

Best of luck.

earthworm
22nd June 2007, 11:13 AM
Is it really a leak??

My daughters car('97 900SE) was leaking at the pulley seal - even then , the oil loss was not that much,(less than a liter over 1,000 miles), but it had to be fixed... and I do not think the engine was pulled for this.. good mechanics find the ways and means to save work..

If you were to trade it in, the chances are zero and nil that the dealer will pull the engine to fix the 'leak"..

Tweek's Turbos
22nd June 2007, 12:49 PM
I would do it, and have the timing chain replaced too.

Hell, I have 169k miles on my 95 900, and spent about double that on a new gearbox upgrade.

Why only assume another 30k miles. I am projecting at least another 10 years of life left in my car, which would be about 500k miles.

Although I may or may not be building a B234 super engine for next year.;)

Presto
22nd June 2007, 10:07 PM
I have just had my cam chain replaced and apparently it is quicker and easier to drop the engine out the bottom with the car on a hoist.
Here in Australia and I would think other countries would be the same, there is a service kit available. Total cost of the parts individually is around AU$2000 and the kit can be purchased for AU$365. The kit includes cam chain, 2 cam sprockets, crankshaft sprocket, cam chain tensioner (upgraded plastic part), upgraded balancer shaft chain, hydraulic balancer chain tensioner, crankshaft seal, timing cover seal, cam cover gasket and sealant. They also drop the sump so you can have the oil strainer checked as well.

Turbonium
29th June 2007, 02:02 PM
Shelled out $1,568 for the repairs. I couldn't part with my 93 just yet.

I wonder the next major repair will be...

Cheers.
Joseph