New Abbott mod [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New Abbott mod

Gordy
13-05-03, 09:22 AM
Hi guys,

Abbott have just added this to their website. Can I have your advice as to what it is and should I get it?

Thanks.

http://www.abbottracing.com/2003/tuning/9000/engine/9000_intake.htm

BillJ
13-05-03, 09:25 AM
Well, they don't actually say how it's different from the standard pipe and for 225, I'd want to know. My Aero and Alan B's both put out well in excess of 250hp (over 300, in fact) with the standard pipe. I know the 9-5 suffers from a restrictive intake pipe, but I've never heard of the 9000 intake pipe being a problem.

john-w
13-05-03, 11:12 AM
Well, they don't actually say how it's different from the standard pipe and for 225, I'd want to know. My Aero and Alan B's both put out well in excess of 250hp (over 300, in fact) with the standard pipe. I know the 9-5 suffers from a restrictive intake pipe, but I've never heard of the 9000 intake pipe being a problem.

Bill I bet the cheques in the post already :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

13-05-03, 02:48 PM
I saw earlier today when I was down there... it's a benefit mainly for those alreay running uprated systems. The majority of it's CSA is approx 50% larger than a standard one.

It's effect will be similar to any other intake mod that reduces airflow resistance be it filter, intercooler etc... you'll get quicker spool up, slighlty more top end power and possibly a slight reduction in bottom end torque.

It may sound expensive for a section of aluminium tube, but don't forget you also get a new silicon elbow which is over 100 plus VAT for the OEM one!

There's a waiting list BTW...

BillJ
13-05-03, 02:51 PM
Bill I bet the cheques in the post already
Who from? How much? I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow's post now... :cheesy:

Alanb
13-05-03, 05:00 PM
I can't say it'll be the next thing I'll spend my cash on to increase BHP :!

Alanb

cdcarlsson
13-05-03, 05:17 PM
Seems like Abbott are taking a leaf out of motorbike manufacturers pricelists. Think of a number, then add a couple of zeros etc....They must feel a lot of people have a burning sensation in their pockets :roll:
Nick.

john-w
13-05-03, 05:37 PM
Seems like Abbott are taking a leaf out of motorbike manufacturers pricelists. Think of a number, then add a couple of zeros etc....They must feel a lot of people have a burning sensation in their pockets :roll:
Nick.

correct me if i'm wrong, but have they not always done that??

Gordy
14-05-03, 05:01 AM
I asked Giles to provide some details and this is his response:

We have not actually completed this yet, the basic prinicpal is that the pipe is bigger and therefore, reduces back pressure, and lets the turbo pump more air cleaner without the temperature rising.

So no figures to check the bang per buck factor.

Marrk
15-05-03, 05:23 AM
If Abbott sold square wheels and said they gave a hp increase they'd sell....... :wink: :wink:

Gordy
15-05-03, 05:54 AM
If Abbott sold square wheels and said they gave a hp increase they'd sell.......

How much? Do they do an 18" Square so I can get the AP Racing discs installed?

BillJ
15-05-03, 06:58 AM
How much? Do they do an 18" Square so I can get the AP Racing discs installed? :lol: :lol: :lol:

murphwiz
15-05-03, 04:30 PM
It is a lot ofmoney for a bit of pipe.. get one made up locally for a whole lot less :o
The silicone elbows aren't to dear.... just a std 90degree bend...

See they are also offering the clear DRL cluster for 900's at a bargain proce :o

18-05-03, 04:19 AM
The silicone elbows aren't to dear.... just a std 90degree bend...

No, they're reducing elbows I'm afraid, and Samco don't have one a suitable size, so you need a custom job. :roll:

mattfaulks
20-05-03, 07:13 PM
Samco Don't but SFS do, SFS being owned and managed by one of the guys who started Samco.

Matt