Shocking!! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Shocking!!

greenphotos
9th May 2003, 11:13 AM
Moderator - Please move this post to 9000 Mods+Tuning etc. Sorry!!
Hi all!

I need to replace my shocks :cry:
Any advice on any good ones to get?

Are adjustable Koni shocks any good and are they really worth it? I havn't got loads to spend but I don't want standard ones.

9000 Aero '94

Mark
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Gordy
9th May 2003, 11:24 AM
I can't speak for Koni's by themselves but Abbott use them in conjunction with their Lower, Stiffer Springs and I can vouch for that set up.

greenphotos
9th May 2003, 12:14 PM
If I go for non adjustable ones are they going to be a pain in the as* or should I fork out for adjustable ones? Apparently they do ones that are cheaper because you've got to take them off to adjust them.

Gordy
9th May 2003, 12:20 PM
Adjustable ones will give you more options, ie Day to day use, track day use etc. I understand that adjusting the rear shocks on a 9000 is a bit of a struggle though.

greenphotos
9th May 2003, 12:38 PM
Good point! Where the hell is the top of the shocks? Probably behind a foots worth of carpet I suppose, Do you reckon it would be easy to fit them?

I'm going to try and get them from Camberly auto factors as they are normally pretty good.

tandino
9th May 2003, 02:40 PM
Camberley Auto Factors used to be (and may still be) the official UK importers for Koni products,
They were far and away the cheapest place to get shocks.
Dont know if they still are now though.

Pete.

ylee coyote
9th May 2003, 07:10 PM
just fitted a set of koni's and their supplied springs...
front was straightforward but alarming (you have to saw through the old strut)
the rear would have been easy but for the ar bushes siezed and had to be burned off..
not for the fainthearted !!
definitely recommend the koni adjustables ..I have them fine tuned now..
I spoke to someone who bought the bilstein kit and he found them quite stiff
bit easier to put on as they are the complete strut... not the strut insert like the koni
btw he had to burn out the rear ar bush as well :o :o

greenphotos
10th May 2003, 03:05 AM
so I keep the stuts I have now and just replace the inserts? Sounds a bit odd to me...

I've had a quote for the stuts: 64 each for the rear and 96 each for the front.

cdcarlsson
19th May 2003, 04:49 PM
The Konis' have a large range of adjustment from way too soft (as in they don't control the rebound of Abbott springs) through (at 20%) nice and comfy over B roads but with a little too much roll to (at 25%) beautifully controlled but a little firm for a bumpy road and then all the way up to (at 50%) great fun on a track or well surfaced A road but watch out for your teeth on poor surfaces. These are my findings with my car ('94 Aero with [obviously] Abbott springs), you may well have a greater tolerance to vibration and harshness but I think these dampers can cater for all tastes
They are top adjustable on the fronts, but require removal for adjustment at the rear.
Nick.

greenphotos
19th May 2003, 05:26 PM
WOW! you answered my question before I even asked!

I reckon I'll get them set at about 30% I've got standard springs so far but I'll change them
Do you reckon the Koni Guy will know what I mean if I say 30%?

BillJ
19th May 2003, 05:38 PM
all the way up to (at 50%) great fun on a track or well surfaced A road but watch out for your teeth on poor surfaces.
Ooh... you know how much fun mine are on the track at about 80%. Can you imagine how it rides over bumpy roads? :o

This is with the Abbott springs, which I think are a bit soft for track use. I reckon I'd be better off with firmer springs and turning the Konis down a bit.

As for where the top of the rear strut is, it's behind the carpet. There is a groove designed to be cut with a knife to form a flap that you can pull back for access. The flap fits back afterwards and looks like it has never been touched.

http://www.saab9000.com/bbimages/rearshockflap.jpg

greenphotos
19th May 2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks!

I've just taken all the carpet up from the boot! I'll go and put it all back :-)

You say you've got yours at 80% should I opt for 50% then. The Aero is pretty stiff apparently compared to the standard but I want it to be even stiffer. If I'm honest however, I don't need track day performance.

How do you tell the adjustment on the rear ones? I've pushed mine in a vice as the instructions say but they don't seem to get any stiffer however much I twist them.

cdcarlsson
20th May 2003, 04:00 PM
If your springs are standard Aero items I would assume a little less damping would be the correct thing to have (compared to an Aero on stiffer lowered springs[Abbott etc]). With the lesser damping the ride would be more compliant, but with more travel availible (from the standard height springs) you shouldn't be in danger of bottoming out in big compressions.
From the postings of Jez Frost on Saabscene it appears even Aeros' differ in their nose weight from year to year so try a few different settings say a quarter turn either way to gauge the reaction. I found that the fully soft setting allowed the Abbott springs to 'slap' the wheels into dips and potholes, as I said in an earlier post the rebound was not controlled, less stiff springs might not behave this way though.
My 'percentages' quoted earlier were meant to reflect the amount from the fully soft position that the dampers were set to.
Just in case I'll mention that my front dampers appeared to be quite uneven in their stiffness when set by the same amount, I've had to set one at least a quarter turn more stiff to get the same reaction on bouncing them manually.
A final thought, if you wish for less body roll in cornering go for poly anti roll bar bushes. Stiffening up the rear on its' own could quell understeer nicely. :D
Nick.

greenphotos
22nd May 2003, 11:48 AM
Well, I have got the front shocks Fitted but the rear bolts had seized and the garage didn't want to do the job without replacements. The difference they have made though is amazing! Understeer is decreaced dramatically!!! Its almost like driving a go-kart in comparison.

Thanks for your help on the %'s the garage said that they had to fit them at the softest setting to start with as they had to wear in. This is ok for the fronts as they are key operated but the rear ones will need to come off in about a 100miles time- Doh!
I still haven't worked out how to adjust them, I reckon its to do with the 2 holes on the top of the yellow part of the Shock.

I'll update you soon!

Mark

Friberg
23rd May 2003, 08:38 AM
Well, I have got the front shocks Fitted but the rear bolts had seized and the garage didn't want to do the job without replacements. The difference they have made though is amazing! Understeer is decreaced dramatically!!! Its almost like driving a go-kart in comparison.
I fitted a set of SAS sway bars a couple of week ago together with new Bilstein shocks. Had the same problem with the bolt in the rear :evil: Had to use a blade from a hacksaw(?) and saw through the bolt on either side of the shock - took me aproximately 3 hours including rests...

With the Bilstein and the 1" sway bars you can really enjoy those twisting roads :D

For the once interrested there are a few pictures here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mats_2720

greenphotos
23rd May 2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Good photos BTW.

I'm getting it booked in on Tue to get them done.

As to the sway bar, I'll start by getting some poly bushes.

Mark.