Very specific wheel question. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Very specific wheel question.

SteveMcqueen
23rd May 2007, 02:51 PM
Borbet Type A's come in 7.5x16 in 20 offset. I know that combo is risky buisness. Its both wide and the WAY too much offset. But my heart and soul wants Type A's. I know little to nothing about wheel sizes and what they mean, but wouldn't that mean they would stick out around 20-30 more MM's than a stock wheel? After looking at it with a tape, 3/4 doesn't seem THAT bad. Nothing a mild fender roll can't take care of right? ;)

Am I right in my guesses or, am I screwed?

If they can make VW's look good, Imagine what they can do for a 900 :D

http://tinypic.com/4g0kna

IronJoe
23rd May 2007, 03:02 PM
Well...

I'm running a 7" wide with +40mm front, +35mm rear. A 7.5" with such a low offset would stick out further, if I am understanding it correctly.

Honestly I don't think it would be an issue unless your car was super low. You're going to get tire poke on all fours, but you won't shred your tires or rub on suspension components (like how mine is close to doing).

Borbets look amazing and would be worth it. But there are discontinued sizes that may work, you just gotta work to find them. The set I almost bought (shoulda bought) were 17x7 with a +30 offset. Keep looking, it'll be cheaper than a new set of four anyway.

gorper
23rd May 2007, 04:49 PM
When you put 6.5/ET27 Aeros on your c900, they stick out about an inch. IMHO, it doesn't look that good. Now, put those 7.5/ET20 Borbets on and they'll stick out about 1.75 inches. Pimptastic, IMHO. And hard on your wheel bearings. And it will affect steering. And the car will be dirty every time you drive it in the rain because the wheels will sling cr@p up onto the body panels (you get this with Aeros).

Finally, c900 wheel arches cannot be easily massaged: they are welded to the fenders.

Find a good 7-inch rim with a proper, deeper FWD offset, and call it good...

amish_geek
23rd May 2007, 05:45 PM
Stock wheels are 5.5" with 45mm offset

According to: http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

A 7.5" wheel with a 20mm offset will have the same inner clearance, but will extend 50mm out from the stock wheel position.

So take your stock wheels, and measure 50mm out and that will tell you how far they stick out.

SteveMcqueen
23rd May 2007, 09:46 PM
Looks as though the search continues.

Thanks for all the help, learned something new today.

saabspg18
24th May 2007, 08:59 PM
i would have to agree steve those would look pretty friggin cool!:cool: