SaabCentral Forums banner

best way to spend $4000

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  YO DELPRAD 
#1 · (Edited)
money already gone

#2 ·
The best use of a 'free' $4000 would be to invest it, or pay off any debt if you have any.

If you're dead set on spending it, personally I'd sell the 94 and take the 4k and get something newer.

Now onto your original question. If you're set on keeping your car, I'd get the standard mods: rear sway bar, steering rack clamp/brace, subframe brace. This puts you at about $600. Downpipe and a Saab Sport exhaust, along with a larger, cross flow intercooler would set you up for a stage 3 ecu as well. These would be another ~$1000 without the ecu, and would probably be a good place to stop, since you have a MBC. For about $1600 the car will be noticeably more composed and faster, and you won't have spent too much.

Going further, a stage 3 ECU would then be $550, and you could get some performance struts/shocks and springs for about $600. Now you're up to around $3000 if you install everything yourself.

Now just as a little voice of reason, before you go crazy on dumping money into the car, just remember that the car is only worth about $2-3k, and if you spend $2-3 on mods you'll never see that money when you go to sell it. Modded cars can be harder to sell than a stock car, and the mods add little or nothing to the resale value of the car.

I just sold/parted out a track car that I had about $25,000 into. When the last remaining parts are gone here I'll have cleared only about $8,500, a pretty staggering loss. I'll definitely build one again in the future, but not until I have a house, student loans are paid off, etc.

Cars are a terrible investment, and I wish I could take my own advice more often! :cheesy:

#4 ·
You can give me that money and I'll show you what can be done. :cheesy:

Your getting 4000 and you have an ng. If your wanting more power now is a great time to do spec clutch and viggen pressure plate and hydrualic clutch upgrade. This way you have a new clutch to hold more power. Then you can either go suspension goodies to make a really nice autocross car or go power mods for a straight line screamer.

#6 ·
redrum said:
The best use of a 'free' $4000 would be to invest it, or pay off any debt if you have any.

If you're dead set on spending it, personally I'd sell the 94 and take the 4k and get something newer.

Now onto your original question. If you're set on keeping your car, I'd get the standard mods: rear sway bar, steering rack clamp/brace, subframe brace. This puts you at about $600. Downpipe and a Saab Sport exhaust, along with a larger, cross flow intercooler would set you up for a stage 3 ecu as well. These would be another ~$1000 without the ecu, and would probably be a good place to stop, since you have a MBC. For about $1600 the car will be noticeably more composed and faster, and you won't have spent too much.

Going further, a stage 3 ECU would then be $550, and you could get some performance struts/shocks and springs for about $600. Now you're up to around $3000 if you install everything yourself.

Now just as a little voice of reason, before you go crazy on dumping money into the car, just remember that the car is only worth about $2-3k, and if you spend $2-3 on mods you'll never see that money when you go to sell it. Modded cars can be harder to sell than a stock car, and the mods add little or nothing to the resale value of the car.

I just sold/parted out a track car that I had about $25,000 into. When the last remaining parts are gone here I'll have cleared only about $8,500, a pretty staggering loss. I'll definitely build one again in the future, but not until I have a house, student loans are paid off, etc.

Cars are a terrible investment, and I wish I could take my own advice more often! :cheesy:
X 2.... Spend some of it and invest the rest. You only live once but don't go crazy :cool:

#8 ·
I triple the sentiment on investing some of it and spending some on the car.

If you want go fast parts, make sure you go for some stop fast parts as well.

Even though it may be a slightly higher investment, look into Saab Saviors racing brake caliper kit, and maybe some new front and rear rotors. The total cost of just this though is about $1400. Investing in a ARB, steering rack and clamp, along with the 6 point subframe brace could also help your car perform better in many conditions. Heck, going for all the latter three at once is cheaper than spending it individually if you get em from GS.

Good luck in your decision and I hope you get better.

#9 ·
For four grand, you could easily do an SQR stage 5 and have some money to spend. Thats 320hp my friend! http://automotion-saabvolvo.com/motorsports/t5.htm

Also you could do their stage 4, which is $545.00

SQR Stage 4 = 300 BHP (5spd Only)

Hardware Requirements:
.......................................... SQR Stage IV ECU Program
.......................................... 3" Exhaust Turbo Back
.......................................... Open Air Filter
.......................................... Cross-Flow Intercooler
.......................................... TD04HL-15t Turbo (Viggen Turbo)

or stage 3 for very simple hardware requirements and still a very fast car with plenty of money to spare for tune-up, tires, and Viggen brakes, not to mention suspension mods.
$545.00

SQR Stage 3 = 251 BHP

Hardware Requirements:
.......................................... SQR Stage III ECU Program
Exhaust can be custom made at a shop for under 500, and the filter is a DIY thing. Again, cheap at 50 bucks.

Get one of those, a filter and exhaust and any hardware requirements for the stage, tune-up your car all around, and invest whatever is left over. But remember, by upgrading your car, you are investing it in your car!!/investing in a method of fun!

#11 · (Edited)
snowboardin58 said:
For four grand, you could easily do an SQR stage 5 and have some money to spend. Thats 320hp my friend! http://automotion-saabvolvo.com/motorsports/t5.htm

Also you could do their stage 4, which is $545.00

SQR Stage 4 = 300 BHP (5spd Only)

Hardware Requirements:
.......................................... SQR Stage IV ECU Program
.......................................... Cross-Flow Intercooler
.......................................... TD04HL-15t Turbo (Viggen Turbo)

]

uhh...

3" exhaust turbo back is 700-1000
open air 120
cross flow IC 250
tdo4hl-15t turbo, 1000?

So your actual total would be around 3500 or so with labour. So there would be little to no money left over after all this. Dont get me wrong I would love to have 4000 and do all this. But there are always hidden cost or stuff you forget about.

Myself, I am working from the ground up.

EBC brakes all around with SS lines
Rear sway bar
next will be 3" exhaust turbo to tip
next year will be suspension
then ecu upgrade

IMO you should start from the ground up, the suspension in these cars is terrible, mind you I am used to the handling in my MGB ;)

#12 ·
People!!!! Investing means you put money in order to make it grow. When you use that term refering to spending money on a car, it doesn't make sense at all. You never see most of it once spent never mind having it grow ;)

If you take those parts off a year later and sell them you'd be lucky to get 50% of what you paid. I hope you don't invest money that way ;)

Spend some of it (not more than $1000; the car isn't worth that much & only market value counts when you wreck it or if it gets stolen) and keep the rest in the bank to use it for a future down payment on a house ;)

#14 ·
mmm not exactly. Sure, putting it away for a financial gain(or potential gain) is one definiteion, but it IS more than that. "2.to use (money), as in accumulating something: to invest large sums in books. 3.to use, give, or devote (time, talent, etc.), as for a purpose or to achieve something: He invested a lot of time in helping retarded children. "

It can also be for satisfaction. While many think cars are a bad investment, I think they are great, IF you are an enthusiast and can afford them. An expensive car is a bad investment if there is nothing to be gained, not necessarily monetary.

#16 ·
snowboardin58 said:
mmm not exactly. Sure, putting it away for a financial gain(or potential gain) is one definiteion, but it IS more than that. "2.to use (money), as in accumulating something: to invest large sums in books. 3.to use, give, or devote (time, talent, etc.), as for a purpose or to achieve something: He invested a lot of time in helping retarded children. "

It can also be for satisfaction. While many think cars are a bad investment, I think they are great, IF you are an enthusiast and can afford them. An expensive car is a bad investment if there is nothing to be gained, not necessarily monetary.
You'll understand what I mean when you graduate then need that down payment to buy a house ;) What are you gonna give the bank as collateral? 1994 SAAB 900? :lol: They'll refuse. Your reply? but it's modified :eek:

Are you actually trying to tell me that spending 4K on perfectly running 13 year old car is justified and is a good investment? Be honest ;) Do you actually believe that?

#19 ·
hkayssi said:
You'll understand what I mean when you graduate then need that down payment to buy a house ;) What are you gonna give the bank as collateral? 1994 SAAB 900? :lol: They'll refuse. Your reply? but it's modified :eek:

Are you actually trying to tell me that spending 4K on perfectly running 13 year old car is justified and is a good investment? Be honest ;) Do you actually believe that?
I know it could be better spent, for my future, on surely helping my financial future..but an investment isnt necessarily always for financial gain..but just gain in general.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.