SaabCentral Forums banner

Tarbo Timers

760 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  KC9-3SE 
G
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am still a bit new to the saab scene and i was wondering if anyone had done a turbo timer in their 9-3 manual. Due to the fact that you must have it in reverse to shut off and pull the key is there an easy fix? Also what brand do you recomend. I tend to like the APEXi systems but I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

#2 ·
to be honest with you it's not needed, just before your about to shut the car off and arrive at your destination just dont get into boost, that will allow the turbo enough time to cool down, seeing how the turbos are oil/water cooled...

#5 ·
Ryan33 said:
to be honest with you it's not needed, just before your about to shut the car off and arrive at your destination just dont get into boost, that will allow the turbo enough time to cool down, seeing how the turbos are oil/water cooled...
X2, the turbo is oil/water cooled so it shouldn't be a problem. A lot of Saabers have high-mileage turbo's still in their car.

G
#9 ·
you can take the reverse lock out (while your at it, u can do the diy short shifter) but ull discover it is much harder to get into reverse and 5th after doing so....but i do like not having to keep it in reverse, even though i normally do anyway.....old saab habit

#11 ·
Teambaylagoon said:
Wait, what ? Sorry Im a Saab Newb, I assume this is on the older models ?
If you have a stick, then yes, you will have to go into reverse to take the key out, but if it's an autobox, then no.

In regards to a turbo timer, again, there is no need for one if you are mindful of your car. Beating the turbo up and down the street and then shutting it off will cause coking, but if you just lay off boost for a couple miles or so, then it should be fine. Just to be safe, I always wait atleast 20 seconds or so after I come to a complete stop before shutting down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.