New wheels and rims [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New wheels and rims

Leviazwn
30th April 2007, 02:17 PM
I have the stock 16" viking (large 3 spoke wheels) wheels i believe, of which 3 are bent. I want to get a new set of 17x7.5's - should i really try for REAL viggen rims or are the replicas OK to get?

radare
30th April 2007, 02:55 PM
I've heard the replica wheels don't bend as easily as the OE viggen wheels. You WILL bend 17" wheels, however, as the amount of sidewall will be reduced so there will be less give in the tire before the impact enters the wheel.

One pet-peeve of mine. The outer lip of the wheel, where the tire rides, is the rim. A wheel is comprised of a hub, spokes and a rim. If you just buy rims, you'd have no way to mount them to the vehicle. You want to buy wheels.

hkayssi
30th April 2007, 03:28 PM
Radare is right the replica Viggen wheels are stronger than the 1999 model year (SAAB corrected the problem after that due to the complaints) the 2000 may also have the softer ones but not sure.

The replicas are good quality and the finish looks nice and is $499 per set on ebay. You can't beat that price unless you buy used and then you may get curbed wheels or at least scratched wheels for more money than that.

The Vikings are the worst wheels SAAB came out with so far. They're softer than the soft Viggen wheels and they look soooooooooooooo ugly :o

snowboardin58
30th April 2007, 03:55 PM
Thank you for somebody finally answering my question I've asked God knows how many times! Maybe I will try a replica set

Leviazwn
30th April 2007, 04:27 PM
sweeeet, i'll probably go with the replica viggens (i've seen 'em on ebay, always a good deal)

i've also been lookin at sweet black wheels with silver rims for about the same price, with 5x110 bolt pattern

what'll probably happen is that i'll buy the replica viggen wheels -- they're gonna look soooooo good on my car and it'll handle sooooo much better (i'm right about this, right?)

radare
30th April 2007, 04:39 PM
what'll probably happen is that i'll buy the replica viggen wheels -- they're gonna look soooooo good on my car and it'll handle sooooo much better (i'm right about this, right?)

Your handling will improve due to the increased stiffness of the tire sidewalls (and likely increase in tire contact patch). Your ride will suffer, however. This stiffer sidewall will transmit more of the road feel to your hands and your seat. Good luck!

hkayssi
30th April 2007, 05:05 PM
Yes the ride will improve but will be stiffer. You'll feel each pot hole since you'll have the low profile tires with them.

Those Viggen wheels are also made by CSA under the name concept
http://www.mullins.com.au/prodimg/concept-s.jpg

But I like the Velocity wheel alot better. Anyone tried those? Not sure if they fit the Viggens though
http://www.mullins.com.au/prodimg/velocity-s.jpg
Or the gladiator. They look nice too
http://www.mullins.com.au/prodimg/gladiator-s.jpg

Old Goat
30th April 2007, 05:07 PM
I had put on a set of 17" wheels on my car, the original were Viking/ snow tire combo, so the ride quality wasn't the best to start with. The feel of the new wheels is amazing. They do give you more road feel, but I kind of like that. More sure footed.

As the the Vikings looking ugly... I think quirky is a better term. I saw them painted either gunmetal gray or a gray/ black and they looked really nice. Personally I like the more open look to wheels, but the Vikings are classic... sort of... and they fit with the style of the car.

hkayssi
30th April 2007, 05:16 PM
I had put on a set of 17" wheels on my car, the original were Viking/ snow tire combo, so the ride quality wasn't the best to start with. The feel of the new wheels is amazing. They do give you more road feel, but I kind of like that. More sure footed.

As the the Vikings looking ugly... I think quirky is a better term. I saw them painted either gunmetal gray or a gray/ black and they looked really nice. Personally I like the more open look to wheels, but the Vikings are classic... sort of... and they fit with the style of the car.

Hahaha Jim,
Yea I agree those are a classic. As for looks, tastes are diffrent. I should've said they're soooooooo not my taste :lol: Some people love those wheels.
Abducted's are kinda nice :D

1997900s
30th April 2007, 06:27 PM
I'm looking for a set of vikings wheels for my 900s....Any one selling a set of 4 of those ugly wheels? :lol:

hkayssi
30th April 2007, 07:09 PM
If you really want a set, I know of a few who are selling a good set with decent tires for something like $250 or $300 and you can probably deal them down further :cheesy:

If you really want them, reply with to this and I'll link you to a thread on a diffrent forum!

Like I said it's a taste thing :cheesy: These aren't my cup of tea.

1997900s
30th April 2007, 07:33 PM
If you really want a set, I know of a few who are selling a good set with decent tires for something like $250 or $300 and you can probably deal them down further :cheesy:

If you really want them, reply with to this and I'll link you to a thread on a diffrent forum!

Like I said it's a taste thing :cheesy: These aren't my cup of tea.

I'll sent you a PM