SaabCentral Forums banner

Under the hood (that pad thing)

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ragtopcav 
#1 ·
that padding under the hood. can i take that off safely without the underside of the hood getting cooked and bubbling my paint on top?
i think on erics site or somewhere else i saw they took it off

would be alot better for under the hood temps i would think

#2 ·
It makes the noise of the engine and mechanical components much louder in the cabin and if you do not like to hear them, don't do it!

Its also there for fire resistance if a fire started, it helps to smother that.

It did seem to help my under-hood temps and I removed the rear rubber seal so the air can also get out from under the hood. Air that gets in needs 3 times the space to get out...

No paint or heat issues with hood after a year and half... Noise is the main thing you will notice..

John

#3 ·
Yeah I took the insulation out last summer and it helped a bit too. I also took the rubber strip off, just below the windshield, and it should help too. any air that can pass through and out is a good thing, its just hard to tell while your driving. and no, my paint hasnt hasnt been wrecked either, so it's safe. I was also thinking of how to get more air out from under the hood/ engine compartment. I'd love a nice vented hood, or a cowl induction one.

#7 ·
lowbudgethero said:
doesnt water get into the engine compartment with the rubber seal is taken out?
The ONLY issuse w/ removing the insulation have been addressed by John. With regard to removing the weatherstrip; your engine already gets wet it won't be more or less w/o it there. But, the heat from your engine can cloud your windsheild at times w/o the strip there...

#9 ·
I thought the area at the base of the windscreen was a POSITIVE pressure area. That's why air comes in the passenger vents. Taking the rubber off won't let any hot air OUT :confused:

#11 ·
Makes you wonder where all the hot air does go. Once it's out of the rad, it has to go under the engine or over it or around and over the gearbox. Then it's got to negotiate the 90 degree firewall to come out under the car.

#12 ·
hunt.dogshome said:
Makes you wonder where all the hot air does go. Once it's out of the rad, it has to go under the engine or over it or around and over the gearbox. Then it's got to negotiate the 90 degree firewall to come out under the car.
It goes down and slightly to the right if you're looking forward, have you ever noticed on a stonking hot run, when you get out with the fan running how much warm air wraps around your ankles? the passenger getting out doesn't get this.
A large portion of the heat radiates away rather than being cooled by airflow over the radiator - hence the preference for all alloy engines.
The point at which the windscreen and the bonnet meet [scuttle panel?] is indeed a positive pressure zone on the car body and the faster you go the greater the pressure gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.