SaabCentral Forums banner

forged wheel group buy thread: sticky?

7K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  Turkish Aerolines 
#1 ·
TROLLhattenschatten and I are wondering who would be interested in doing a group buy on forged wheels that fit our cars. As most people on here know, the 5x110 lug pattern is hard to come by, let alone correct offset. And you can forget forged/lightweight/cheap wheels. We were thinking of having people pick a design, size, and finish, and order them.

For those who don't know, forged wheels are much stronger and lighter than conventional cast wheels. Frged wheels are machined from an induvidual billet, which on the microscopic level has a structure which makes the wheels much stronger AND lighter, sue to less material being used to achieve the same strength.

TROLLhattenschatten is going to sketch up some designs, but please feel free to post some. They should be nothing extreme, but definitely sporty, decent amount of spokes, and most of all, attractive.

If we can not get a custom design for a decent price, we may have to pick a previous design by a reputable company, but hopefully we can have a custom design made so it is almost exclusive to us!

Lighter weight means less unsprung weight, which means quicker acceleration, response, and a lighter overall weight of the car. OEM wheels are going to weight anywhere from 25 to 35 pounds a piece, are can be relatively soft. These could potentially weigh 15 -25 pounds(15 is on the light end, 25 on the heavy end), but in 17 or 18 inch models, vs 30 for a 16 ir maybe 25 for a "light 15." Please post if you would be interested in a nice set of forged wheels which would HOPEFULLY cost around a grand or less.

See less See more
#3 ·
Keep going with this guys!!

Also, check out centerlinewheels.com for their forged items

I just got quoted $290 a wheel for the 'Excel' in 17inch (also available in 5x110 are the 'Storm' and 'RPM' )

They are available in custom colors and finishes

The 'Piranha', although less than up-to-date look wise, is cheap @ $80 a wheel at the last conversation

#10 ·
abdukted1456 said:
do you have any idea how many sets of wheels you'll need to order to have something custom made up from scratch? and the cost?
plus I would be perfectly fine with an existing model if need be. That was actually my original thought, but TROLLhattenschatten is going to make some CAD drawings and we'll look into the possibility of custom.

#13 ·
I would love 5 spoke, doubt 5 spoke, nice ten spoke, or the mesh style like BBS or others. Anything could work! And I would like silver, a "hyper silver" like the Viggen wheels came width, or even polished(no chrome, though). Usually you can get different finishes, even when custom ordering, since is the simplest thing to change.

#14 ·
Sticky up for a few weeks to see if you can get enough interest.

Some thoughts...
  • To make this worthwhile economies of scale are key

• Decent non returnable deposits may be required

• Don't buy 4, buy 5 and run a full size spare or store it

• Agree on one or max two designs from the same manufacturer

• Ideally, you will all agree 1 size [width, offset and diameter common to all] one design and the only varation will be colour

The more variation and complex things get the less saving there is to make; a manufacturer or their primary supplier will talk business if they know they're getting a good sized order, start mucking them about and they'll send you to a retailer with a flea in your ear.

#16 ·
Adrian W said:
Bah. Those centerline wheels come only 7" wide unless you get the 19" diamter ... then it's 7.5". :roll: I already have 8" wide, dangit! I don't want to downgrade. :(
Each of the Centerline wheels are built to order

I can't answer for them without calling but I don't see why they couldn't make wider

Color options and polished + chromed finishes are available

If this was the way this 'group-buy' went, I would take the 'excel' in black chrome...

#18 ·
I would probably take a storm, but excel if it came down to it. I'll see what other manufacturers can "hook us up." I know theres Forgeline, SSR, Enkei, Koenig, and ASA, among others, who for sure make forged models. Many of them could be done just by changing the hub specs on the wheel.

#20 ·
snowboardin58 said:
I would probably take a storm, but excel if it came down to it. I'll see what other manufacturers can "hook us up." I know theres Forgeline, SSR, Enkei, Koenig, and ASA, among others, who for sure make forged models. Many of them could be done just by changing the hub specs on the wheel.
So do we do a 17 or 18 inch?

What width; 7? 7.5? 8?

#22 ·
I would take any of those sizes. I'm leaning towards an 18 inch by 8 wide myself, but 17 would work, and 7.5 as well. 7 is skinnier than I currently have though. 18X8 is optimal, also 17X8 if not enough people want 18(18 looks better than 17 in filling the arches)

#23 ·
Troll_speed, those wheels are cool. Different but pretty cool.

As far as SSR goes, I like the following:
GT1
http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/371
Integral
http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/372
GT2
http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/2162
GT3
http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/1367
Competition
http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/2408

www.ssrwheels.com

Many of these wheels are available in a "hybrid" form which is some type of two-piece construction, which makes them yet lighter and stronger, again.

#25 ·
SSR sounds like they may be interested in producing for us. He replied to me asking what diameter, width, and weight we are targeting. Not many people have replied on a specific SSR they like, so I suggested the five I posted. I'm guessing they would do pretty much any wheel they currently offer, and POSSIBLY discontinued models like the GT1 and Integral. Please post any models you like from SSR www.ssrwheels.com if you are at all interested. It is likely that we would need a minimum order of between five and fifteen wheels..just an assumption though. Please let us know if there is a different wheel manufacturer you'd like as well..if you are serious about it. Most people on here are not going to buy BBS or OZ forged wheels for their Saab any time soon. I'd love any suggestions though.

If we finally get some long-awaited wheels, we will likely have to agree on a design and possibly sizes. Color is probably not limited. If we got enough people we could order more designs. Just remember, these wheels are much stronger than any cast wheels you can buy and also much lighter, which will allow your car to surely accelerate faster. Better gas mileage too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.