SaabCentral Forums banner

Wastegate valve?...please help

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dip 
#1 ·
hey guys first post here, I have a 2001 9-3 and i was wondering if you guys could help me out. I need a new wastegate valve for my turbo and was wondering if anyone knew where i could find I have been searching for months. It is not a blowoff valve or bypass valve it is actually located inside the turbo and I think it looks like a washer or something not exactly sure, but all i know is it's not there..haha..any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if this is the right section to post in, mods move if necessary, sorry if wrong section.

#2 ·
if it's not the external wastegate actuator, you're talking about, you might as well be searching for a replacement for the turbo. sounds like yours is in need of a rebuild. don't drive it too hard with that busted wastegate, you might over boost and cause further damage. on the flipside, you might be dumping it all that exhaust gas and not spooling the turbo. in that case, you'll have to replace it sooner or later anyway b/c the turbo (if it hasn't already) will seize. good luck.

#5 ·
ok whatever. and i didn't assume the inside flap was missing. i'm just talking out my *** because it feels good, not that something similar has happened to me before, so...lets all just listen to whatever he says coz he must be the expert. please enlighten us with your brilliance, your excellence.

#6 ·
SaabLV93 said:
ok whatever. and i didn't assume the inside flap was missing. i'm just talking out my *** because it feels good, not that something similar has happened to me before, so...lets all just listen to whatever he says coz he must be the expert. please enlighten us with your brilliance, your excellence.
Newbie has a chip

#7 ·
i wasnt referring to i was referring to the op saying that its " not there".

did he remove the turbo and check? if so you will most likely need a rebuild and you need to find out why it broke, i dont believe you can buy just the flap.

as to saalv93 - your an idiot...how the hell would a turbo die from not spooling? a turbo dies when you starve it of oil or the gaskets die. think before you speak. but yeah i know nothing only had 3 9000's 1 c900 and a 9-3 and been working and tuning them for 10 years. but yeah...im wrong.

#8 ·
wow i wish i was that cool. you know, cool enough to call people out, and point out how stupid they are so i could feel good about myself and my 1000 posts.

but no, no such luck for me. i just had the bad luck of a turbo that had the wastegate valve stuck open and then had to get it replaced and upon inspection it was seized. maybe if i was thirteen i could participate in these internet wars...

but hey mr. heym...i was just trying to help. i gotta be on the look out for mr. cool guy who might go virginia tech on my ***** now.

#9 ·
why cant we all just get along? i think if the valve sticks open it could cause your car to exit all the exhaust to the ground and lift the car off the ground like a hover craft. and at 88 mph you will enter the year 1955....

seriously though sounds like a turbo rebuild is needed here or just get a new turbo or this is a good time to upgrade the turbo. i dont know if you can buy just the valve or not. just figured since your down there working on the turbo/wastegate might as well rebuild it at least or get a new one.

oh and hey--- I BET YOU WONT HIT HIM! :lol:

#11 · (Edited)
i agree bad info takes on a life of it's own and gets picked up and passed along until it seems it must be true.

if the flapper is seized you may be able to loosen it up with some pb blaster and elbow grease. if you take off the downpipe you will be able to see if the round flapper piece is missing i think, i do not know how it attaches to the wastegate arm or where you could buy just the round piece- ATP turbo maybe?

#12 ·
Wow, such a nice impression we are giving a new visiter... on their first post nonetheless.

My question to the OP. Why do you think you need a new wastegate valve? Are you not getting ANY boost at all?

#16 ·
lowbudgethero said:
yes it is the t25
Grrr... Can't you people learn to read? The guy has a 2001 9-3, which means it's a GT-17.

Now, heym, if you indeed have your turbo out, you can easily tell if the wastegate flap is there or not. Here's how it normally looks.

I can't recall many reports of people losing the flap (maybe a couple), but if you did indeed, and it didn't damage the turbine while flying off, it must be rattling inside your downpipe right now.

If your turbo has low play, then you might just do with a new exhaust housing. Just grab any blown GT-17 and take the housing out of it. Although it will likely be easier to find a complete working turbo on eBay or car-part.com. They aren't that expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.